Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere 4520 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Default Grill Guard on 790

Here's one for you newer model 790 owners...

The grill guard on the 790 in a welded assembly (not hinged like it is on the 41xx series tractors).
    Have you folks been checking your battery from the top (opening the hood)? Any of you modified the grill guard to allow hinging? Or, have any of you removed your grill guard (looks heavy!)?

I've always worked from the top (never removed the guard). Just curious what you others have done...
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JD 790, JD 6420

Default Re: Grill Guard on 790

Roy - I have a 790 with a 70 FEL and it just has a large loop of flat iron that I think is called a rock guard which allows you to get to the battery from the front!
    Leo

Tractor
    3520 CAB

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson
    Here's one for you newer model 790 owners...

The grill guard on the 790 in a welded assembly (not hinged like it is on the 41xx series tractors).
    Have you folks been checking your battery from the top (opening the hood)? Any of you modified the grill guard to allow hinging? Or, have any of you removed your grill guard (looks heavy!)?

I've always worked from the top (never removed the guard). Just curious what you others have done...
    I have a 790 with a 300 loader and I have always checked the battery by opening the hood and going in from the top. Not very convenient but you have to take two bolts out to hinge my grill guard down.

Elite Member

Back when I had to get in there I just removed the guard.
    For a "MANLY man" like yourself, the weight shoudn't be a problem.

But since the optima install, I haven't had to go back in.

Tractor
    John Deere 4520 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Quote Originally Posted by Willl
    Back when I had to get in there I just removed the guard.
    For a "MANLY man" like yourself, the weight shoudn't be a problem.

But since the optima install, I haven't had to go back in.
    Well, I am Manly...but was just curious what other folks did...mostly if anyone had modified their grill guard to hinge.
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Tractor
    JD 5520, 790 TLB-- Kub L4300, B7800, MX5100

Roy,
    I wish you could find an easy way to hinge things. Short of that, when I got my used 100 hour-four year old 790 I replaced the leaky battery, cleaned the battery area and sprayed it with a blend of oil and diesel fuel. It wicked into all the rusty areas.
    Then I bought an Optima battery and called it good. Sealed battery means no need for adding water.
    Surely you have an idea how to hinge things? After all, you are THE 790 guy.

May I be the kind of person my dogs think I am,

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by sixdogs
    Roy,
    I wish you could find an easy way to hinge things. Short of that, when I got my used 100 hour-four year old 790 I replaced the leaky battery, cleaned the battery area and sprayed it with a blend of oil and diesel fuel. It wicked into all the rusty areas.
    Then I bought an Optima battery and called it good. Sealed battery means no need for adding water.
    Surely you have an idea how to hinge things? After all, you are THE 790 guy.
    Yeah...thought about it too.
    The design is pretty similar to the 41xx tractors which have grill guards that do hinge.
    There's no doubt given time, the 790 guard could be modified...or a 41xx tractor guard could be made to fit a 790.

I'll have the tractor out today...think I'll look it over and give this some thought. I used to work in a fabrication shop, so I could have this done at little cost (modified a 54" toothbar to fit a 61" bucket there, in fact). Wish I'd thought about this modification when I was still working there!
    Last edited by RoyJackson; 05-25-2008 at 09:38 AM.
    Roy Jackson

-Joseph P. Martino

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by em14
    Roy - I have a 790 with a 70 FEL and it just has a large loop of flat iron that I think is called a rock guard which allows you to get to the battery from the front!
    Leo
    Yeah, my 670's grill guard did hinge as well. When Deere went to the 419 loader, they changed the guard design to a welded assembly.

I wonder what they use with the 300x loader, or on the 3005 tractor?
    Roy Jackson

-Joseph P. Martino

Elite Member
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    (B2620, had BX22) Simplicity Legacy w/48" mmm

Could the top two bolts be replaced with pins? If the pins were tethered, it wouldn't be hard to pull them, and drop the guard if it clears the loader frame. Self locking nuts on the bottom two bolts would allow the guard to pivot.
    B2620,Loaded R-4's , Wallenstein BX42 chipper, Bush Hog SQ148 RC, 4' x 8' chain harrow, Blizzard 54" 3PT snowblower, Tirechains. com v-bar duo grip chains (hate them), Simplicity Legacy with 48"mmm, turbo collector, Country Line carry all, Countryline Middlebuster, Woods 48" BB, Kubota QA for loader, Kubota forks, Kuhn EL23 rototiller, and more to come...

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckinNH
    Could the top two bolts be replaced with pins? If the pins were tethered, it wouldn't be hard to pull them, and drop the guard if it clears the loader frame. Self locking nuts on the bottom two bolts would allow the guard to pivot.
    I guess the 300x loader guards have the bolts running through the sides of the guard mounting.
    On my 790 (419 loader), the guard appears to be welded to the front weight bracket which has the bolts threaded into the front of the tractor frame (rather then the sides).

When Mech posted his response, I went down to the garage and took a look.

I'll have the tractor out in a little bit...I'll give it a good looksee to see what can be done.

Keep those responses coming! And, thank you all for your responses so far!
    Roy Jackson

-Joseph P. Martino

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast