John Deere 650 starting problem

/ John Deere 650 starting problem #1  

Lucky Horse

I have a 1984 JD 650 with belly mower it has about 950 hours on the clock.
It is powered by a 17 HP Yanmar Diesel
Recently I have developed a starting problem.
The starter will not turn the engine over when on the compression stroke.
To date I have replaced the battery and the starter. Both are new and the problem is still there.
If I turn the engine over a half turn by hand, the starter works fine and the engine starts. So the question is does this engine have a compression release? If so where is it? How is it activated? If no compression release, is it a starter or battery problem?
Any help would be most sincerely appreciated.

IKE

/ John Deere 650 starting problem #2  
Welcome to TBN:D

I don't believe it has a compression release on it...Have you checked the battery cables carefully? Is the insulation swelled near the connectors? Have you removed and cleaned the ground connections at the frame?

/ John Deere 650 starting problem #3  
Make sure the valves are adjusted correctly. That will cause a symptom like that also.

/ John Deere 650 starting problem #4  
Starter binding, flywheel bent? I had my 650 for 20 years and never had a problem one, doesn't help you though.

/ John Deere 650 starting problem
I have checked the cables flywheel and the battery. Starter is new and was checked at store wher I bought it.
I have not checked the valves as I do not have a manual and this is my first adventure with a diesl engine.
What is the process for doing this?
Is the adjustment similar to a gas engine, gap between valve and rocker?
If so what is the gap?
Thanks very much to all who responded!:confused:

/ John Deere 650 starting problem #6  
I would doubt that the valves might have worn in that much with such low hours. I don't know from your description that it might not be a like problem We did fix one so to speak that was a bit unusual last year.
Cranking at all was intermentent, it had a new battery as well as the starter. We checked all the safety switches, to crank the engine it would often not react at all consistantly by the key. It might take ten hits before it would crank.

Under the dash we found a circuit board that all the safety switches went though, removing the cover it was loaded with mud from washing. It was not an item that is replaceable at this time through jd so we cleaned it as good as we could. It currently is working to about 95% as far as cranking vs a click when hitting the key.

/ John Deere 650 starting problem
With sincere thanks to Art for setting me on the right track I have fixed the problem and have achieved 100% functionality.
Here is the full story.
The box actually under the dash does contain the safety interlock electronics for the starter circuit and the belly mower. The electronics are a couple of standard logic gates with unstandard numbers. For the starter there is basically two inputs a netural sensor from the gear selector and start from the ignition switch. The output goes to a driver transistor that that energizes a relay coil that sends 12V to the starter solonoid. The problem is that it is a small relay and subject to deterioration, probably environmental. these contacts deteriorate and consequently provide a high resistance connection. While you get 12V at the starter solonoid there is not enough current to pull to the start position. Hence the click but starter will not turn.
Replacement of the relay is a pain unless you you have experience with electronics and have the proper equipment. Replacement of the board if available will be very pricy. So here is a solution that will cost less then two buks that anyone with minimal farmer ability can do.
1 Get yourself a 12V coil relay that is rated for 5A.
2 Connect a suitable length of wire to each of the coil termanals. I will explain what I mean by suitable length of wire below.
3 Connect a suitable length of wire to ear of the termanils of the normally open contacts of the relay.
4 Pull out the connector to the solonoid from the starter. It is on the rear bottom of the starter. Cut off the connector with about 4 inches of wire.
5 Attach the end of the remaining wherer you just cut off the connector to one of the relay coil leads.
6 Connect the other relay coil lead to a good ground. I used an O terminal that I frimpted on a length of wire and connected under a screw that holds the radiator shrod on.
7 Connect the connector and wire you cut off to one of the Normally open contact leads on the relay. Once connected, plug it back into the socket at the back of the starter. At this point you should consider where you will mount the relay. This will determine the length of wire.
8 Connect the other relay normally open contact to the battery. This can be done by running the wire directly to the battery + terminal or to the power input terminal on the starter. If you follow the second option I recommend you use a large O terminal.

That it it. You have just removed the load off the relay in the safety interlock module, maintained the safety function, avoided the high cost of replacement and achieved 100% functionality.:D

/ John Deere 650 starting problem #8  
Great, some days you're the bug and some days you're the windshield.