JD 4600 HST PTO Problem

/ JD 4600 HST PTO Problem #1  

kabeman

Tractor
JD 4600 HST
Hi everyone!
This is my first post, hopefully it is in the right place.

I have a 2000 JD 4600 HST and the PTO will not engage.
I have the Technical manual and have followed the test procedures for the "electrical" portion of the PTO system.
Everything on the electrical side seems to be functioning correctly ie: PTO solenoid has 9 ohms of resistence between leads, no continuity between anyone lead and ground, 12v at the solenoid when PTO switch is on.
This seems to point to a hydraulic problem. In the manual it mentions a "mesh" screen in the suction line. This is my question: where is the suction line screen?

Thank you in advance for your help/advice

PS: The tractor has a SCV for the FEL installed
only 510 hrs on tractor
no mid-mount PTO

/ JD 4600 HST PTO Problem #2  
Welcome to TBN:D

The screen should be near the hydraulic filter, and should be cleaned when the hydraulic fluid is changed. Some models also has a inline filter on a hydraulic tube at the rear of the tractor over the tranny.

Have you owned the machine since new?

/ JD 4600 HST PTO Problem #3  
Do you have any other hyd. functions? ie power steering, three point hitch ect.

/ JD 4600 HST PTO Problem
Yes I have owned it since it was new.
There is a small cylinder inline at the rear hyd. outlets for the backhoe attachment. What is the recommended cleaning procedure?

shot_gun said:
Do you have any other hyd. functions? ie power steering, three point hitch ect.

Yes, all other hydraulics work fine, steering, 3-point hitch and FEL

/ JD 4600 HST PTO Problem #6  
Have you done the maintenance on it? You never changed the fluid and cleaned the screen? Your owners manual should describe the procedure. I am not sure how to clean the inline filter, but the main screen require emptying the tranny.

kennyd said:
Have you done the maintenance on it? You never changed the fluid and cleaned the screen? Your owners manual should describe the procedure. I am not sure how to clean the inline filter, but the main screen require emptying the tranny.

No the dealer has done the only Hyd. maintenance (Hyd. fluid and filter change) when it was in for another issue 200? hrs ago.
Unfortunately during my last move, into a new place, the owners manual was lost. There is only 500+ hrs on it.

Thank you for your input. I will be changing the fluid, filter and cleaning the screen, but wanted to find out what the problem "most likely" was so that I didn't change the fluid, etc. and then have to take it in to the dealer only for them to change it again during their "fix"

Also, just fyi the PTO output shaft does spin freely by hand with no apparent wobble.

/ JD 4600 HST PTO Problem #8  
This may be too easy but did you check the ground from the control panel(my manual shows 050k black). I think you still have an electrical problem because of all the other hydraulic options seem to work fine. I used the diagram 4-163 to try to follow the circuit from battery to ground. I hope this helps and remember it is worth what you paid for it!!!!!:) :)

mfreund said:
This may be too easy but did you check the ground from the control panel(my manual shows 050k black). I think you still have an electrical problem because of all the other hydraulic options seem to work fine. I used the diagram 4-163 to try to follow the circuit from battery to ground. I hope this helps and remember it is worth what you paid for it!!!!!:) :)

I have to agree with you that it is most likely an electrical issue. I will look into the ground side as soon as time allows. (Plus it has been raining up here almost non-stop!)