60" MMM Mulching Attachment for 4100

/ 60" MMM Mulching Attachment for 4100 #1  

Anonymous Poster

60\" MMM Mulching Attachment for 4100

I just purchased a mulching attachment for my 60" MMM for my 4100. It would have been nice if the dealer had told me it did not come with it when I purchased the tractor but that's another story. My salesman wasn't too swift.

I have not installed the mulching attachment yet. Will do so this weekend. Has anyone installed one of these? Any problems? Does it work well? I now am getting quite a bit of clippings discharge when mowing and am hoping the mulching attachment will chop up everthing much finer.

Thanks.

/ 60" MMM Mulching Attachment for 4100 #2  
Re: 60\" MMM Mulching Attachment for 4100

Mr. Ed, I have used the mulching attachment on a 42 deck and plan to graduate to a 54" desck very shortly. As long as you keep the blades sharpe it does mince that grass right up. Blades get dull and that is when it klumps up a bit. High-lift blades are another thing that will help!

Good Luck!

/ 60" MMM Mulching Attachment for 4100 #3  

Now, you have to remember, not all salesmen will "load you up" some only sell you what you ask for. Ours have a flyer of all options avail. for that tractor, that they let you read while they are doing the paperwork, instead of pressuring you to get it all, then you would be writing us about how many extras he stuck you with.

Please do not use the high lift blades, use the mulching blades that come with the kit. They are shaped to offer the best airflow to keep the grass tumbling until it is finely mulched.

The main thing we tell people is that you MUST cut your grass regularly, cutting no more than a third of the blade, and travel speed is important. If you start to see clumping, slow down, and allow the mower a chance to deal with the amount of grass you are giving it. Here in the south in the spring, our grass grows very quick, I have had people need to cut their yard every 4 days or so to keep it looking good and allowing them to mow at a faster speed. If you let your grass get too tall, it will take a mowing or two to get it looking good again.

As the other man said keep those blades sharp, sharp, sharp !

Enjoy the 4100, it's a nice little work horse !

/ 60" MMM Mulching Attachment for 4100 #4  

Well this is good information, I must beleave your a dealer in the South. I am have nothing but B.S. from my local dealer, I've ordered parts and they never come, and can't get a straight answer on the 60in. for my 4100. If your a dealer please send me you E-Mail or phone and we can talk. Im in the Dallas Texas Area. WObershaw45@aol.com

Bill

/ 60" MMM Mulching Attachment for 4100 #5  
Re: 60

I installed the mulch kit for the 60" on my 445--exact same deck with different suspension and draft hook up. The install was painless. I think I had to drill one hole in the deck.

Just to add to everything everyone else has said, you'll find yourself reaching under the deck to pull the clippings out of the baffles after each mowing. It only takes a minute and if you don't the clippings will build up and begin to decay /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif. I cut almost four acres with it and have no complaints, but you can't let the grass get too long--every four or five days for me. It's a great alternative to bagging or windrows.

/ 60" MMM Mulching Attachment for 4100

I wish all dealers were like you. While I certainly appreciate not being loaded up, this guy left a lot out. This was the first tractor I ever had with a belly mower and FEL so I did not have knowledge on how to work the equipment. The salesman could not explain to me how it worked either. I saw in the FEL manual that it recommend that the rear wheels be turned around - didn't get that either.

I assumed that all mowers today come with mulching attachments so it would have been nice to be told.

The only reason I bought from this dealer is because his price was $1K cheaper than anyone else. Perhaps there is a correlation here between price and service.

Anyway, Deere sent me a survey and I told them what I thought. The dealer did call and I went through it all with them. At least they followed up and listened.

/ 60" MMM Mulching Attachment for 4100 #7  

my dealer took me through their whole operation the first time i showed up.
the sales guys call the mechanics when i ask questions about things new to them, and i ask a lot of questions ;)

/ 60" MMM Mulching Attachment for 4100

I put the mulching attachment on last weekend and it worked great! Thanks for all the comments.