5103 problems

/ 5103 problems #1  

deerefan

Veteran Member
Tractor
1952 8N, 2005 JD 5103
It's been a rough few days at the farm....our truck needs a new motor, a horse fell ill now my trusty 5103 broke...it seems the 3 pt is stuck in the up position. I checked the fluid...it was full. I checked the rate of drop switch...it was in its correct position. The tractor gets serviced at all intervals. Called John Deere and they told me my tractor, w/ only 135 hrs and 21/2 years old is out of warranty, which I figured since it only has a 2yr warranty. Hemmed and hawed a little to no avail. Long stroy short, the dealer closest to me is picking the tractor up today and will let me know the source of the problem. He said the 5103 does not usually have this problem...any one have any ideas???

/ 5103 problems #2  
Had that problem once on my Ford - classic problem, dirt in the valve. On the Ford there was easy access to the valve & I got it to flush itself and the filter picked up the piece of dirt as the fluid circulated.

/ 5103 problems
i hope thats all it is...hopefully won't be too expensive.

/ 5103 problems
i would have tried the repair myself, just do not know the mechanics well enough to just dive off into the tractor. Had it been my 8N, different story.

/ 5103 problems #5  
Not to sound stupid, but check the "draft" lever, the lever closer to the seat next to the lift lever that takes the lift up and down. I got my 5103 back from the dealer last week and both levers were up - I lowered the lift lever and the 3 pt hitch didn't move. Lowered the draft lever, and I was back in business. Good luck.

/ 5103 problems
Knowing me, that was the first thing I checked!! I still have not heard anything on it yet. I will post the results when I do. I really hope it is not something stupid.

/ 5103 problems #7  
I hope it is something stupid = cheap or free to fix.

/ 5103 problems
The valve was stuck...cheap fix. I am going to pick up a service manual for this tractor so next time I can tackle this.