Oil & Fuel My 2320 Hydraulic/Transmission Oil Change Thoughts

/ My 2320 Hydraulic/Transmission Oil Change Thoughts #1  

thatguy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
Just finished my 50 hr hydraulic/transmission oil change @ 79 hours.. I got the engine oil changed at 50some hours, but hadnt had time for the rest until today.. I used Amsoil synthetic hydraulic oil for the change..

I wanted to share some of my findings/thoughts..

1) I regret buying a 5 gallon pail of hydraulic fluid - should have got the single gallon containers instead. It is hard to get out of the pail and the pumps I had werent worth the few dollars I paid for them LOL..

2) When I went to fill it up I put in the 3.5 gallons the book said it needed, after running the tractor a bit the fluid still didnt show up on the sight glass.. So I kept adding fluid.. OOPS - I over filled it and had the oil coming out of the fill hole..

I drained fluid thinking the clear amsoil was actually showing in the sight glass but still couldnt get it to show.. I finally thought to engage the rear PTO while running the engine since the sight glass was right at it.. NOW we had something - the oil level actually started to show in the glass but was completely full when you cut the engine off. Running the PTO was what got the fluid to finally show in the glass

So back to draining fluid, running the PTO, shutting down and checking the sight glass.. After about 5 times of this I got the sight glass to show about 1/2 way with the engine off.. Not sure how much i wasted/drained off but it was at least a gallon i bet..

I may have to drain some more though - after hooking the rough cut mower back up the glass is showing completely full again with the engine off..

3) The hydraulic/transmission filter (under the left foot rest) had the wrong number listed in the owners manual... When i went to the dealer I didnt have the number so they looked it up in the computer and had to order it. When it came in, the number on the box WAS NOT the number listed in the manual. I called them and they found the manual part number in their computer. BUT that filter WAS NOT the right filter - it was a filter that went inside a casing (like the fuel filter).. the first filter was the correct one.

Owners manual lists part # LVA 802724 and crosses over to a new part number LVA 802765. THESE ARE INCORRECT. This was from the owners manual OMLVU16740 A7 - Tractor was purchased in May 07

The correct part number is AL 156625

The filter that came off was a Donaldson 198129-20310

IF i am still over filled a little on the fluid what could be damaged? I dont understand why it showed 1/2 glass then back to a full glass.

Just wanted to share

Brian

/ My 2320 Hydraulic/Transmission Oil Change Thoughts
To explain a little more.. I thought that the reason it was taking so much fluid was that the filter may have soaked up quite a bit fluid since it was dry.. But obviously it was taking 'that' much.. LOL

Brian

/ My 2320 Hydraulic/Transmission Oil Change Thoughts #3  
Based on your experience do you think the 3.5 gallons mentioned in the owner's manual was the right amount after all?

marco246 said:
Based on your experience do you think the 3.5 gallons mentioned in the owner's manual was the right amount after all?

Im thinking not.. but i already had some original oil left in the drain pain when i started draining it off, so I wasnt able to measure it to see how much i overfilled it.

to make matters even harder, when i emptied the original oil i emptied it into several different jugs to recycle and I didnt keep track of how much of the original oil was drained off.

In hind sight I should have measured exactly how much i took off and then put back that much..

brian

/ My 2320 Hydraulic/Transmission Oil Change Thoughts #5  
My 2520 came from the dealer with a "full" sight glass, and I've run it that way for the last 45 hours, with no damage as far as I can tell.

The sight glass deal is kind of tricky to read, at least on mine. When it's running, or right after shut-down, it shows nothing. But wait a half hour or so and it shows full. I guess it just takes awhile for all the oil to drain back down.

Maybe when you checked it and it seemed low, you just didn't wait long enough?

I'm getting ready to do my 50 hr service soon, and just hoping that all the filters in the "filter kit" I got with the tractor are the right ones. Meant to open it up and check, but never got around to it...

Runner said:
<deleted text>

Maybe when you checked it and it seemed low, you just didn't wait long enough?

<deleted text>

That may have been, but when I turned on the rear PTO (after running the engine previously) you could see the red JD oil and the clear Amsoil blend together.

The more I think abou it, I may have not run up the engine speed enough to get it pumping good. I just started the tractor and ran it a little above idle. I rechecked it today and when you max the rpms the sight glass doesnt show anything, but comes back after you turn the engine off, just like yours does.

thanks

Brian

/ My 2320 Hydraulic/Transmission Oil Change Thoughts #7  
I agree checking the transmission oil with the sight glass is a little tricky. I usually check the glass in the same location, tractor pointing in the same direction and same oil temperature. In the winter the oil level always shows low till it warms up to about 80 or so. I run mine with the glass almost full, and just a little air showing at the top, the same way it was delivered.

I also found the replacement oil volume to be around 3 gallons and not the 3.5 the manual shows. I bought 2.5 gallon and a 1 gallon container of JD hydraulic fluid and ended up with about .5 gallon remaining. I don't remember having any problems with the oil not showing up in the glass though.

/ My 2320 Hydraulic/Transmission Oil Change Thoughts #8  
I still cannot figure out the sight glass. One minute I look over, it is completely full. Another time, while changing an implement, it is completely clear, no fluid visible. Another day, I look over and it is a 3/4 full, like the manuel reccommends. I still cannot figure out what the deal is with this sight glass. I think it may have something to do w/ starting the machine, engaging the PTO / Tranny, etc. Still confused, but not concerned since I have nearly 200 hours on the machine and no problems. Also, while looking at machines on display in front of a Deere dealership, I noticed some machines had clear sight glasses and other were full.

3.5 gallons is the correct amount, do not panic if you do not see anything in the sight glass, unless of course, you forget to add fluid. I would ask your mechanic at the dealer. Again, ask the mechaninc, not the person at the desk. Walk around back, casually sneak into the shop and ask a mechanic.

/ My 2320 Hydraulic/Transmission Oil Change Thoughts #9  
I agree with you about the sight glass fluid level. Thats why I always check it in the same spot. My property is, how shall I say it "level challenged" and I had to actually make a spot so the tractor would sit level while I checked the sight glass. If I turn the tractor around 180 degrees, and park it on the level spot, the glass shows a different level!

Not to worry, I have 150 hours on her, and she is still purring along.

/ My 2320 Hydraulic/Transmission Oil Change Thoughts #10  
johnnydel29 said:
I still cannot figure out the sight glass. One minute I look over, it is completely full. Another time, while changing an implement, it is completely clear, no fluid visible. Another day, I look over and it is a 3/4 full, like the manuel reccommends. I still cannot figure out what the deal is with this sight glass. I think it may have something to do w/ starting the machine, engaging the PTO / Tranny, etc. Still confused, but not concerned since I have nearly 200 hours on the machine and no problems. Also, while looking at machines on display in front of a Deere dealership, I noticed some machines had clear sight glasses and other were full.

3.5 gallons is the correct amount, do not panic if you do not see anything in the sight glass, unless of course, you forget to add fluid. I would ask your mechanic at the dealer. Again, ask the mechaninc, not the person at the desk. Walk around back, casually sneak into the shop and ask a mechanic.
The sight glass is on the tank, therefore the level is dependant on the position of the 3PH and the loader if installed. If the 3PH or FEL is raised-then the level will appear low in the sight glass.

Proper procedure is to:
Park on level surface
Lower 3PH and FEL all the way down
Wait about 5-10 minutes for level to stabilize