3000 Series A/C Issues

/ 3000 Series A/C Issues #1  

Silver_Knight

Silver Member
I have been having issues with the A/C on my 3720 which has about 70 hours on it. I took it into the shop for service and had them look at the A/C because it was just not cooling like it should. In the heat of the day 95 degrees with 60% humidity it would not cool below 80 degrees coming out of the vents. I stuck an AC thermometer in the vent and it would not get below 80. In the morning or when I clean the condenser with water it will get in the 60痴 but as soon as I get going again it gets right back up to 80.

I have cleaned the condenser many times. This is extremely difficult to clean because it is sandwiched between the radiator, Hydraulic oil cooler and the turbo cooler. You have the battery on the bottom part and the turbo cooler on the top part so there is really no where for air to go through.

Picked it up at the dealer who said he did the best he could which amounted to nothing. He said that JD just did not design the system to cool?which I agree. He said he was able to get it to cool to 70 degrees coming out of the vent in the afternoon but I tried it as soon as I got home and after an hour of riding around I felt he lied about that because it never went below 80.

I called a couple of other JD stores and spoke to the salesmen to see what they had to say about the AC on the 3000 series. They all said it worked 敵REAT? 笛UST LIKE YOUR CAR and 鉄O COLD YOU CAN HANG MEAT IN THE CAB? We値l friend that is a bunch of 笛DBS?

I知 here to tell you I致e spoke to two different JD service techs and they both have told me the 3000 series AC system does not work well at all.

I took my unit back to the JD service center and told him to do something to make it cool. I did not buy the [best] tractor built today to sit and sweat while watching guys in orange tractors drive buy with chill bumps!

He said he was going to install a small high volume fan on the front of the turbo cooler to push air through the condenser. He said it would be pretty loud but would probably work. We went back and forth a while because I did not want to have to put extra parts on my new tractor o make it work but finally gave in because that seemed like the only thing he could come up with.

Has anybody else had any issues with their 3000/4000 series not cooling and if so what was the fix?

Any ideas?

/ 3000 Series A/C Issues #2  
Somebody else on TBN had problems w/ thier JD AC.

Guess it turned out to be major air leaks on the intake side of the evap.

/ 3000 Series A/C Issues #3  
You need to get a different dealer to look at it. What he is saying just isn't true. I just had mine checked at a dealer 2 weeks ago. The temp at the vent when they checked it was 30F.
I bought mine in the fall of 2006, and in the winter had major problems with getting the engine to warm up or put out heat in the cab. After 5-6 trips to 2 different dealers, they found an air leak in the corner of the air box letting in cool air. You may have the same problem but notice it with cooling. Try putting a piece of plastic wrap over the filter in the back of the cab/airbox. The suran wrap should be sucked up tight to the filter if there is no air leak.

Make sure you don't have the heat control turned on with the A/C control. The two can be on at the same time and cancel each other. Try pinching the heater hose going to the cab with a piece of cloth and vise grip to be sure hot water isn't circulating even if the control is turned down. The inflow hose is one the left side by the loader arms and cab glass. You will see a connector in the hot water line hose. I removed the connector/splice and installed a radiator hose shut off valve. I turn the hose off in the spring to prevent any hot water flow to the cab air box.

The idea of a fan installation in front of the condensor is IMHO a waste of time and money. The system is designed to cool. The dealer just can't figure it out. I am very comfortable in my A/C cab on a 100F day.

If the compressor is working correctly with the proper pressure in the lines (this is easy to check with gauges), and the freon level is good, then look for outside air getting in the air box or hot water flowing through the heater core.

/ 3000 Series A/C Issues #4  
I have a JD 3720 cab tractor purchased new about 14 mos ago. After about 90 hrs on the meter, I feel the the A/C and heating are both somewhat anemic, but I found the heater and A/C work best when running at rated RPM's. Consequently, I am always running at or very near rated RPM's with the A/C or heat controls turned up to max.

/ 3000 Series A/C Issues #5  
It was about 88 degrees here today and very humid. I use my 3720 cab to bring some straw out to the garden, when I got there it was so nice and cold I didn't want to get out. One down side of having the cab! The things that I have notice affecting my ac performance are dirty cab filter and dirty condenser. I clean my cab filter probably every 10 hrs or so and the condenser and radiator get cleaned whenever I wash/hose down the tractor. I use an air compressor to clean the cab air filter and a garden hose to clean the condenser. I'm always amazed how much dirt is in the cab filter. It's maintenance that I found must be done to keep the ac working properly. Also when I did my radio install and had the roof off I fix a lot of tears and cracks in roof top seal. I was socked at how many there were! I had read previous threads that stated this was an issue that affected ac performance. Something to check anyway.

Attachments

• DSCN3749.jpg
    DSCN3749.jpg
    858.1 KB · Views: 429
  • DSCN3736.jpg
    DSCN3736.jpg
    835.7 KB · Views: 642
   / 3000 Series A/C Issues #6  
jsboening said:
It was about 88 degrees here today and very humid. I use my 3720 cab to bring some straw out to the garden, when I got there it was so nice and cold I didn't want to get out. One down side of having the cab! The things that I have notice affecting my ac performance are dirty cab filter and dirty condenser. I clean my cab filter probably every 10 hrs or so and the condenser and radiator get cleaned whenever I wash/hose down the tractor. I use an air compressor to clean the cab air filter and a garden hose to clean the condenser. I'm always amazed how much dirt is in the cab filter. It's maintenance that I found must be done to keep the ac working properly. Also when I did my radio install and had the roof off I fix a lot of tears and cracks in roof top seal. I was socked at how many there were! I had read previous threads that stated this was an issue that affected ac performance. Something to check anyway.

Only thing I haven't done to my 3720 cab is to remove the roof and check for air leaks. Will do it one of these days when the weather is right, eg, 70-80 degrees. I do clean the filters and screens frequently as you mentioned. I guess I'm just plain spoiled by comparing with the heat and A/C in my larger orange tractor (M8200). Don't get me wrong, I do really like the JD 3720 for what I mostly use it for -- mowing 5 acres lawn, mowing hay fields, and blowing snow off 3000 foot driveway --- just a little disappointed with the anemic heat and A/C system.

/ 3000 Series A/C Issues
jsboening said:

My filter and condenser is clean. Actually the filter is brand new. My dealer said that if I taped up my filter it would create a recirculate mode. I tried that and did not notice any change at all so I took the tape off. So frustrating to buy the best and end up with stuff that doesn't work and dealer can't even make it work.

/ 3000 Series A/C Issues #8  
Did you check the roof for gaps in the insulation? My 3520 get cold with AC on and hot will Heat on, and it works very well sofar.

/ 3000 Series A/C Issues #9  
Silver_Knight said:
My filter and condenser is clean. Actually the filter is brand new. My dealer said that if I taped up my filter it would create a recirculate mode. I tried that and did not notice any change at all so I took the tape off. So frustrating to buy the best and end up with stuff that doesn't work and dealer can't even make it work.

I would write a letter to John Deere Corp. Get them involved - it is not working to spec. It has been so hot lately, I would be pissed too.

What RPM are you running the engine?

Did it ever work well?

D.

/ 3000 Series A/C Issues #10  
Get it checked by another dealer...when I got my tractor this spring I had them install the Radio Mount Kit & CD Player...when the popped the top they found the gasket to be torn and such...they warrantied it and installed a new gasket all the way around. The tech also told me if I needed to pop the top for any reason, if there was ANY Gaps, to put another gasket in as the roof to cab seal is imperative in having it blow hot or cold.
I can say even on the hottest/muggiest day this year, I've had to crank down the "Coolness" because it was getting cold in the cab....There is something wrong with your unit forsure.. "Best they can do" is obviously nothing...