Solution to stubborn skid-steer front hyd couplers.

/ Solution to stubborn skid-steer front hyd couplers. #1  

AKfish

Tractor
JD 5115M; JD 110 TLB; JD 4720; Ford 9N; JD X300R
My JD 110 has been giving me a "hard" time lately hooking up my root grapple. The skid-steer couplers on the front end of the FEL wouldn't pressure down to allow hose hookup.

I talked with the local shop foreman and had suggestions offered here on TBN -- nothin' worked...

Buddy that owns a Bobcat 753 came over the other day. He says pull your tractor over here a minute and leave the engine runnin'.

He hooked up the hose couplers! Easier than buttered bread! My owner's manual and the shop foreman instructed me to "turn off engine" while hooking up the hydraulic couplers.

Hmm.. I know what I'll do the next time those couplers won't pressure down.

Any thoughts on why JD would only recommend that the engine be off when attempting to hook up the aux hydraulic couplers?

Thanks for any comments.

AKfish

/ Solution to stubborn skid-steer front hyd couplers. #2  
I recommend shutting off the equipment but many don't do it. You can have hydraulic pressure at the fitting if the valve has been activated which would hold them closed.

/ Solution to stubborn skid-steer front hyd couplers. #3  
weird. I definitely find them easier to open and close with the pressure off, which requires engine off. Usually put the bucket and 3 point up, turn engine off, and then drop bucket and 3 pt and hold open the controls in various positions to relieve the pressure. Then its usually fine, though the miserable collars on the pioneers love grit, and get nice and sticky when they have some.