Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 512131415
    Tractor
    JD 3032e

Default Re: How many acres do you own/operate on?

Mike, did you think about Pecans? They don't require all of the water and attention that grapes do (then again, they don't provide as much revenue per acre either) but you can keep your ag exemption... look into local policies about how many per acre, and whether or not they need to be irrigated. Just a thought.

Tractor
    John Deere

JT,

My wife loves pecans but you are the first to mention it. I have a tax def. on the pine trees but I get taxed on the 5 acres of open land to which growing trees (fruit or nuts) would be the easiest to add to the already existing tree tax deferment. It is a lot easier to maintain than growing a crop I would assume. I could always plant nice grass around the trees and keep the area a bit more open. I have a family of groundhogs living under my barn. My wife wont let me kill or trap them, she thinks they are cute. We have a lot of wildlife, deer, foxes, tons of rabbits. I guess keeping it wooded has its advantages. I wont need to buy or maintain an expensive tractor if I go the way of tree growing (unless i wish to harvest the trees myself but I dont own enough acreage to go that route). I noticed that charlotsville VA has some great deals on acreage. Maybe I will clear cut the forest, replant to avoid the taxes and sell the house in a few years in order to buy 500 acres further south. Then I can retire and live off the land.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 5225; JD F925; JD LX188

67 acres in Totty Hollow here in Hickman County, TN. 5 acres of lawn, 20 of field, the rest is wooded. The land includes creek-bottom, a pond, hillside, and flat-to-sloping benches. Tree species include oak-hickory-ash, beech-maple-tulip poplar, shortleaf pine-red cedar, and bottom-land species like sycamore and sweet gum. I manage it for deer, turkey, blackberries, and hiking/mountain biking trails. There is plenty of firewood which I use for heating. I'm always cutting and splitting stuff that falls to the ground. I have a JD 5225, a JD LX188, and a Stihl MS310 chainsaw to work the land. We've been there for 11 1/2 years. Now I'm looking for a wood splitter with motor.

Creekpaddler in Totty Hollow

2006 JD 5225 with 542 loader & (6) 3-pt attachments
    1997 JD 925 72" front-deck diesel mower
    1993 JD LX188 with 48" deck

"If you need a machine but don't buy it, you will ultimately find that you have paid for it, but don't have it."- Henry Ford

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 5010 4WD HST Cab, Mahindra 2615 Gear, Scag Tiger Cat 48", Gravely 42" ZTR, EZ GO Gas Golf Cart

18 acres, we live on 4 ac. for the past 20+ yrs and just purchased another 14 ac. about 3/4 mile down the road. Plan to eventually sell the 4 ac. and build a new house on the recently purchased property. Have a Mahindra 2615 w/FEL, 48" tiller, 5' box blade, 6' blade, 7' landscape rake, post hole digger, 6.5' disk, 2-16 bottom plow and a 8' drag harrow. Planning to put 10 ac. of new property in hay this next year to feed 3 horses and sell remaining. Hoping to get a couple calves to provide meat for the family. Planning to start looking for an older vintage tractor over the next few months, Mahindra will not be able to do the hay work.

Tractor
    Kubota L4330 w/FEL

Quote Originally Posted by Creekpaddler View Post
    67 acres in Totty Hollow here in Hickman County, TN. 5 acres of lawn, 20 of field, the rest is wooded. The land includes creek-bottom, a pond, hillside, and flat-to-sloping benches. Tree species include oak-hickory-ash, beech-maple-tulip poplar, shortleaf pine-red cedar, and bottom-land species like sycamore and sweet gum. I manage it for deer, turkey, blackberries, and hiking/mountain biking trails. There is plenty of firewood which I use for heating. I'm always cutting and splitting stuff that falls to the ground. I have a JD 5225, a JD LX188, and a Stihl MS310 chainsaw to work the land. We've been there for 11 1/2 years. Now I'm looking for a wood splitter with motor.
    EXACTLY what I'm looking for except in western Lincoln County, TN. The other exception is that I, for some reason I don't know why, prefer to get a kubota instead of a John Deere.

Tractor
    Kubota MX5100

70 acres/ probably around 8 acres cleared including house. Use kubota MX5100 for pasture/trails, and Exmark 60 inch for yard.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 512131415