Backhoe JD Backhoe & 3ph Options

/ JD Backhoe & 3ph Options #1  

2YD

Bronze Member
Tractor
Well its getting down to crunch time with the dealer and I'm trimming my accessory list here and there to pay for bigger options. That said, if I commit to getting the 485 backhoe what type of 3ph accessory do members find most useful? Dealer is pushing I-Match, I'm thinking Pat's or extended links since in either case I believe I will have to remove the link arms to attach the BH and I-match seems like it would involve additional steps to remove not to mention its slightly higher price.
(mods: wasn't sure if this was a buying/pricing question so please feel free to move there)

/ JD Backhoe & 3ph Options #2  
2YD said:
... if I commit to getting the 485 backhoe what type of 3ph accessory do members find most useful?

I believe the answer to your question depends on what other chores you are expecting to use your tractor for. I owned mine for 16 years with FEL and mid mount mower, and the only 3 pt. accessory I used was a ballast box for the loader. Since I decided to start clearing some of my land, i got a 3 pt. chipper and a rear blade. Expect to get a tiller soon.

Describe your intended uses and you'll get some guidance. Most folks here have an opinion or two.:p

/ JD Backhoe & 3ph Options #3  
iMatch....I LOVE my iMatch/Quick Hitch....I wouldnt own a tractor without it. My Father is in the same boat.
As far as whether to get it or not...if you currently do not have any other attachments, I'd get it (or one of the other similar quick hitches...Speeco, Woods, Harbor Frieght) without a doubt... I say that because not all attachments are quick hitch ready...My father who had a sizable collection of implements spent quite a bit of time & energy reworking everything to fit.
If you dont have the equipment (welder, steel, etc) to rework some of your attachments to fit then I'd probably suggest one of the others...if you have no attachments yet, then wihtout a doubt, get the iMatch or similar..

/ JD Backhoe & 3ph Options #4  
One thing that I like about the iMatch and removal for installing the backhoe is that it keeps everything together--I find a level spot, put a pallet or something down and lower the iMatch onto that, leave the arms connected to the iMatch and remove the ends from the tractor. I also leave the hydraulic top link connected to the iMatch as well. If you are buying attachments from a JD dealer they "will" fit the iMatch (check to be sure) but if you plan to add later they may not fit "out of the box" and some adjustments may be needed.

/ JD Backhoe & 3ph Options
B8FISH said:
One thing that I like about the iMatch and removal for installing the backhoe is that it keeps everything together--I find a level spot, put a pallet or something down and lower the iMatch onto that, leave the arms connected to the iMatch and remove the ends from the tractor. I also leave the hydraulic top link connected to the iMatch as well.

That's what I was trying to describe in my post...which was easier when removing the whole 3ph combo to install the BH; imatch or extending links. Sounds like i-match.

B8FISH said:
If you are buying attachments from a JD dealer they "will" fit the iMatch (check to be sure) but if you plan to add later they may not fit "out of the box" and some adjustments may be needed.

Initially I was going all new JD dealer attachments (BB, RFM) and imatch. But since most attachments have pretty decent quality these days and there being lots of used attachments on Craigslist my savings going used is getting close to $2000.00. My thought was extended links would save me some additional dollars and all the used and future rented equipment (rake, disc, spreader, plow etc...) would attach with extended link-ease. That said I recognize there is always going to be some effort in connecting and disconnecting the link arms & top link to mount the BH.

/ JD Backhoe & 3ph Options #6  
FYI, iMatch is a fairly heavy chunk of metal but it can be easily lifted into place in seconds by one person - it's not too much heavier than the draft arms themselves, and probably lighter than both together. Pat's EZ-Hitch is a more permanent installation, but they're also lighter and much more globally accepted. If you're getting new implements just make sure they adhere to the global standard and iMatch will work, if you're not sure what you'll be getting Pat's may be a better way to go. I have both and typically use Pat's but if it wasn't for my problematic chipper I'd prefer iMatch.

/ JD Backhoe & 3ph Options #7  
This may not be a popular statement, but I'd go with the Speeco brand quickhitch instead of the Imatch. I got the Imatch with my tractor, then bought a used Frontier finish mower. I had the choice of paying $200 for a conversion kit to make the mower Imatch compatable, or for the same price buying a Speeco hitch with floating toplink, so I bought the Speeco hitch. The floating toplink allowed me to use the rear mower, and going with the Speeco also gives me an adjustable top hook in case I run into any non-conforming cat 1 implements in the future. I just think the adjustability of the Speeco makes it far superior to the Imatch, which is now just a paper weight in my garage.

/ JD Backhoe & 3ph Options
Birdmayon, I see that type of hitch is sold at local TSC and Fleet Farm stores so I may go take a look.

Pat's is definitely a post purchase option and quite frankly maybe I should just go without a quick hitch to start and see how I want to proceed later.