Mowing mid mount mower rubs 3720 front tires

/ mid mount mower rubs 3720 front tires #1  

Yourkie

Silver Member
Does anyone have a mid mount mower (72" 7 iron) on a 3x20 with R-4 regular size tires? Does it rub the front tires on the leading (front) edge of the mower in a hard left or right turn?

I have heard of problems with the oversize R4s or the wide turf tires with the rear wheels but not the fronts.

/ mid mount mower rubs 3720 front tires #2  
Not sure about R4's but when I set my R3's to the "WIDE" postion they rubbed on hard turns. Rear R3's are fine on Wide.

/ mid mount mower rubs 3720 front tires #3  
My 3720 cab tractor with the smaller R4's aren't close to the 72" 7 Iron mmm -- front and/or rear. Only reason I got the smaller tires is so it would fit in the garage door which is very close even with the small R4's.
I would discuss with the JD dealer -- may be as simple as an adjustment or incorrect linkages.

/ mid mount mower rubs 3720 front tires #4  
sunnyside360 said:
My 3720 cab tractor with the smaller R4's aren't close to the 72" 7 Iron mmm -- front and/or rear. Only reason I got the smaller tires is so it would fit in the garage door which is very close even with the small R4's.
I would discuss with the JD dealer -- may be as simple as an adjustment or incorrect linkages.
Sunnyside, same thing I did so i could get it in its storage garage, and I had to change the garage doors to a 7 foot 6 inch door.

Yourkie, I have R4 smalls, with a 72" 7 IRON, MMM, and when set to the narrow position on the front they should not rub, but like the R3's they may rub if they are set to wide. I do have a 2006 MMM with my 2008 unit.

I changed my tires from the small R4's to Turf specials front and back, which BTW, Deere says they will rub dramatically, but mine dont rub at all, they are close but they don't rub. I have them all set to wide.

I was mowing today and I was having a ball! AC and getting used to the unit. Seems that without the loader on it, the tractor is quite nimble with the Turf Specials! With the loader on it (with the 73" HD bucket), the unit seems like it needs some counter balance to make it more sure footed. I had a lot fewer pucker moments today than recently when I was tooling around with the loader on.

/ mid mount mower rubs 3720 front tires
Thanks. My standard R4 wheels are set at wide. They rub as seen in the pics.

391973720-rf-mower-a-thumb.jpg

391973720-rf-mower-thumb.jpg

391973720-lf-mower-thumb.jpg

391973720-lf-mower-a-thumb.jpg

/ mid mount mower rubs 3720 front tires #6  
Yourkie, you will need to set the Fronts to narrow to stop the rubbing.

/ mid mount mower rubs 3720 front tires
Thanks for the replies and info on this. Didn't take long for the tires to polish the green paint off the leading edge of the mower on the left side which is the trim side and is used more on left hard turns. At least I know now it is a known conflict and not an installation problem as the dealer installed the deck. I like the wide track as I have a hilly property. I'd prefer the turfs as I believe they are more stable and have more traction on lawns.

BTW how do you post the expandable thumbnail photos in the body of the post? I uploaded my photos to the photo gallery on this site under my ID, but don't see a URL that can be copied that would work to redirect the thumbnails to full size.

/ mid mount mower rubs 3720 front tires #8  
Yourkie, you can put the fronts to narrow and keep the rears to wide and you will have the wide rear track which is more critical than the front i would imagine?