2210 pto lever issue

/ 2210 pto lever issue #1  

jim2210

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 2210
I have a '05 JD2210 with only 84 hours. I just ordered a Woods GTC52 tiller to till up about 1 1/2 acres of sod to prepare it for excavating. When I was cutting grass the other day I decided to move the PTO lever to activate the rear PTO (with no implement attached, low idle) and the lever seemed stuck. It took several tries to move it from operating the mid-PTO to the rear-PTO. I did get it to go into position and everything seemed fine (no grinding or anything and the shaft turned without any wobble). Then it also seemed stuck when I tried to move it back to the mid-PTO position. Once again, it took several tries and I didn't use a lot of force so I didn't break anything.

I should mention that I did operate a brush hog when I first purchased the tractor (with about 20 hours on it) and used it for about 5 hours with no problem. That was 3 years ago and haven't had a problem since.

Is this something I should worry about? I don't want to put on the tiller and tear up the transmission if there's an issue. I don't remember the PTO-select lever sticking like this. I'd rather take care of a small problem now than a big one later.

/ 2210 pto lever issue #2  
I had this issue with my 2305 and putting the trans in neutral helped...I hope it's not an issue, maybe someone will chime in that can say for sure.

/ 2210 pto lever issue #3  
Is the linkage from the lever to the transmission lubricated?

/ 2210 pto lever issue
Thanks for the replies. Yes, the transmission was in neutral, but I'll try it again. I too was thinking about it being just a lubrication issue, but have yet to try it (Maybe I was thinking that it's more complicated than that!). I just got a can of JD Super Lube, so I'll give the linkage a dose. After doing a search prior to posting, I read (and saw pictures) of bearings and gears being chewed up inside, but since it ran great for the past three years, I was hoping it's not a big issue. I'll keep trying and post what happens. Thanks again!

/ 2210 pto lever issue
Well, I went up to the tractor today and the lever moved back and forth with no resistance. I lubed the linkage and ran the tractor for a while to warm up the hydro fluid to see if I had the problem when it was hot (like before). To my relief, still smooth. Maybe it was just a glitch or something, but all is well now. I guess now I'll wait for the tiller to be delivered and post some photos when I put it to work. Thanks again!

/ 2210 pto lever issue #6  
After doing a search prior to posting, I read (and saw pictures) of bearings and gears being chewed up inside,

I'm glad all is well now:D I think that reason that tractor was damaged due to the PTO shaft being to long, and when the implement was raised it pushed the PTO stub into the tranny causing major damage. Be SURE when you get the new tiller you measure the shaft carefully.