Can someone explain "power beyond?"

/ Can someone explain "power beyond?" #1  

merlin30

I know this is probably a stupid question. I am new to the newer model tractors and am not clear on what power beyond is, or how it works. I will be purchasing a used JD 4300 in the next few weeks.

Thanks!

/ Can someone explain "power beyond?" #2  
It's basically an extra hydraulic circuit for a things like a backhoe or log splitter.

M.D.

/ Can someone explain "power beyond?" #3  
PB is a "loop" of pressurized hydraulic oil. This "loop" can be broken to feed devices with their own valves like logsplitters and backhoes as M.D. said. But you can also plumb a valve into the "loop" to feed other things like dump trailers, blade angling, cylinders that replace your top link on the 3PH, or any thing else that need hydraulics to operate it.

Fluid flows through this loop whenever the tractor is running, so it must always remain connected to prevent damage to the pump.

Clear as mud?:D

/ Can someone explain "power beyond?" #4  
kennyd said:
PB is a "loop" of pressurized hydraulic oil. This "loop" can be broken to feed devices with their own valves like logsplitters and backhoes as M.D. said. But you can also plumb a valve into the "loop" to feed other things like dump trailers, blade angling, cylinders that replace your top link on the 3PH, or any thing else that need hydraulics to operate it.

Fluid flows through this loop whenever the tractor is running, so it must always remain connected to prevent damage to the pump.

Clear as mud?:D

This has confused me as well. How many attachments can you put in a circuit? I also don't understand the 4 different remote adapters on the back of my tractor. I have a disc(just bought) that has one hose. I connect it and up an down, but doesn't seem to be circuit - one way in/out. Anyway, even after reading my owners manual, I am a confused about the remotes. I had my dealer put a circuit for my grapple on the power beyond port, and am interested in a top-n-tilt set-up now and assume they will connect to the remotes.

/ Can someone explain "power beyond?" #5  
This has confused me as well. How many attachments can you put in a circuit?
In theory, there is no limit, as long as all the valves are open center, and all the returns are plumbed back to the tank. There is parasitic loss in the hoses and valve-so I guess at some point it would become a problem. But I cannot think of a reason why you would ever have more than 3 valve plumbed on a tractor at once anyway...You'd have one for the loader, one for implements(blade, blower, TnT) that is mounted on the fender, and the last one would be on a backhoe or log splitter.

I also don't understand the 4 different remote adapters on the back of my tractor
Since you have 4 QD's (quick-disconnects) at the rear of your tractor, then you probably have 2 remotes. On you fender you probably have 2 levers that operate them. EACH remote has 2 QD's, one is IN and the other is OUT depending on which way the lever is moved from center.

If two of your QD's have a loop hose between them, then that is the powerbeyond connection that I described above-the loop MUST remain hooked up when the tractor is running.

I have a disc(just bought) that has one hose. I connect it and up an down, but doesn't seem to be circuit - one way in/out.

You disc has a SA (single acting) cylinder on it, so there is only one hose. Gravity lowers the disc when the fluid can flow OUT of the hose, and the disc is raised when fluid flows IN to the hose. Most cylinders, like on a back blade, loader, or your TnT setup have DA (dual acting) cylinders-there are 2 hoses on these so that cylinder can be powered either way.

Anyway, even after reading my owners manual, I am a confused about the remotes. I had my dealer put a circuit for my grapple on the power beyond port, and am interested in a top-n-tilt set-up now and assume they will connect to the remotes

Without seeing a picture I cannot comment further, but if you are that confused, I suggest getting your dealer to better explain what he did-and how you should use them.

/ Can someone explain "power beyond?" #7  
Merlin-IF your 4300 is a HST model (like mine) then think of the Power Beyond as a means to hook up an "open center" valve for a wood-splitter, hdyraulic motor, back-hoe,etc. It will be "in-line" with the main hydraulic circuit and must go out to the implement and back to the tractor, with an loop for the trans-hydraulic fluid to flow back into the tractor body where it is then used by the 3pth.
There is another set of 3 valves under the fender/seat. Two of these operate the FEL by means of the QD fittings by your right foot. The third valve may not be in use. If it is there will be a handle sticking up through the right hand fender. It connects to the two smaller QD outlets behind the seat. (the two larger ones are part of the power beyond loop and must form a loop) The smaller outlets are what you can use for a double acting cylinder on a grapple, dump trailer etc that you control from the drivers seat. If you have a single acting cylinder you could probably just hook up the hose to one of these and use the same handle to extend the cylinder. When you move the handle in the other direction the cylinder should compress via gravity as the fluid flows back into the other port of the valve thru the same hose....
These smaller QDs do not have the same flow capacity as the Power Beyond but they do have the same pressure....(they are known as a third SRV or something similar)