What's Best for New Lawn???

/ What's Best for New Lawn??? #1  

impnst8

Tractor
JD 2305
Bought three NJ acres couple years ago that was basically overgrown and down to one usable acre. I've been clearing trees and brush and leveling groundhog mounds and dirt piles with 2305/FEL. Is there any attachment out there that will smooth and loosen dirt for grass seed and gather the tons and tons of stones and debris that seems to be everywhere. All flat land, some small roots from brush, small to medium sized rocks and weeds. Don't have a lot of spare time to be out there with a rake and cart, and the brush is beginning a counter attack with all this rain. JD website doesn't say exactly what their attachments do, i.e., box blade, lawn rake, soil pulverizer. Any suggestions??? I'd rather spend the money on an attachment rather than giving it to a landscape company. Thanks.

JD2305 / FEL / 62"MMM / iMatch / Ballast Box & ____???______

/ What's Best for New Lawn??? #2  
There are probably many solutions to your issue but what I use is a box blade. My box has 7 rippers to break up the soil and bring rocks up. Expensive boxes have rippers which you raise and lower the depth hydraulicly, but on mine I just pin them manually. As you drive along the blade will scrape down the high spots and fill in the low spots. Also, most boxes will have a blade on the back which allows you to push material (like a buldozer) while in reverse.

/ What's Best for New Lawn??? #3  
Much depends upon the size or kinds of the materials you're working with; i.e. the rocks and roots, etc. and the status of your land. If your property is fairly rough and full of larger shrubs, brush and small trees then a box blade is likely a better implement (especially given the tractor you're using) than say a landscape rake.

The box blade will rip and move larger sized rocks and roots than a landscape rake will -- but it's been my experience that for leveling and removing smaller roots and rocks (last stages before fertilizing, planting and packing) the landscape rake is better suited.

Another option might be a disc harrow. Once again, much depends upon what condition your property is in. A disc will knock down and break up small shrubs, light sod and turn up mid-size rocks (i.e. establish game food-plots). A final leveling and clean-up with a rake after several passes with the disc might be the hot ticket!

Of course, the best option would be to buy one of each...

AKfish

/ What's Best for New Lawn??? #4  
I have never used one or saw one, but from what I have read on here, your best bet would be a "harley rake". JC

/ What's Best for New Lawn??? #5  
Thanks, Roll --- considered that... but no way he's gonna pull that with a 2305!

And they cost as much as he probably paid for his tractor, too!!

/ What's Best for New Lawn??? #6  
I second what AKfish suggested, box blade followed by a landscape rake.

/ What's Best for New Lawn???
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll try the box blade. If Frontier, JD's brand? Any other makes that I should consider? So basically, I just keep running the box blade back and forth over the area? Do the rocks and debris collect in the center or are they just brought to the surface?

/ What's Best for New Lawn??? #8  
The bucket on your FEL was "custom designed" to serve as a collection device for those rocks and roots that you'll be picking up after the box blade "rips 'em" loose!

AKfish

/ What's Best for New Lawn??? #9  
impnst8 said:
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll try the box blade. If Frontier, JD's brand? Any other makes that I should consider? So basically, I just keep running the box blade back and forth over the area? Do the rocks and debris collect in the center or are they just brought to the surface?

Frontier and JD are close enough most people consider them one in the same...since you have the imatch going with either of those for implements will really ease the pain of purchasing equipment. you can get cheaper implements for sure, but most won't work with the imatch.

/ What's Best for New Lawn??? #10  
Depending on just how rocky you are dealing with, there are some other options you need to consider. When faced with the same project, I rented a Rockhound for a couple days. It kicks the rocks into a hopper for disposal. It is a hot, dusty, job, but not nearly as hot or backbreaking as clearing 32,000 square feet of lawn by hand. The Rockhound followed several days of box blade grading. The BB will loosen and move the rocks to the surface, but it does next to nothing about moving them anywhere. I followed the Rockhound with a landscape rake, which got even more rocks, but at best it windrowed them. At that point I should have brought in a few truck loads of compost to amend my soil. I didn't and have been topdressing now for 3 years. It would have been easier to do it in the beginning.

If you're looking to get some equipment for long term use, I would start with a box blade. It is my "go to" grading tool. I use it on any landscaping project and for road maintenance. My landscape rake is a constant source of frustration. If you get one, make sure you get the gauge wheels for it before it is even delivered. Mine came from a shade tree builder, and none of the available gauge wheels will fit. If I'm ever going to have gauge wheels, I'll have to fabricate them myself. One implement that I don't have that I would recommend shortly after the box blade is a tiller. It could be a huge help with your yard project. I know a lot of guys say they don't use their tiller enough to justify, but I sure would like to try that theory for myself.