Oil & Fuel 50 Hour Engine Oil Change - Which Oil

/ 50 Hour Engine Oil Change - Which Oil
ddivinia said:
I would run the John Deere stuff - especially thru the warranty period.

D.

I was thinking pretty much exactly along those lines...Prolly end up running the Plus 50 Synthetic 0-40 even after the fact...

/ 50 Hour Engine Oil Change - Which Oil #22  
Spudland_Dave said:
I was thinking pretty much exactly along those lines...Prolly end up running the Plus 50 Synthetic 0-40 even after the fact...

Hi,

I agree with the JD stuff until the warranty runs out ....

My question for you is when my first service comes due -- I have the 2305 -- what weight oil should I use? I hear (see) the 15W-40 and 0W-40 recommendations, but the OM states to use viscosity for the temperature range and gives 5W-30 or 10W-30 as the preferred / recommended oil.

Advice, suggestions ...

Ichabod :cool:

/ 50 Hour Engine Oil Change - Which Oil #23  
Ichabod,

I, too, have a new 2305 and will do the 50 hour service next month. I plan to use Shell Rotella T 10W-30 motor oil. That meets the owner's manual recommendation. The OM says nothing about a break-in oil. I expect to put about 100 hours per year on the tractor and to change oil at that inverval.

Cheers,
Mark

Ichabod said:
Hi,

I agree with the JD stuff until the warranty runs out ....

My question for you is when my first service comes due -- I have the 2305 -- what weight oil should I use? I hear (see) the 15W-40 and 0W-40 recommendations, but the OM states to use viscosity for the temperature range and gives 5W-30 or 10W-30 as the preferred / recommended oil.

Advice, suggestions ...

Ichabod :cool:

As mentioned, I went with the BreakIn oil....BUT, I also decided that has they not had it in stock I was gonna use Torq-Gard Supreme 5-30 because it was listed as another suitable & approved break in oil (also good after break in for colder climates) so if I were in YOUR shoes, I'd use the Torq-Gard Supreme or the Break In Oil...
My plan is to short change the oil at 75-80 hours and go to the Torq-Gard Supreme till winter's over....

/ 50 Hour Engine Oil Change - Which Oil #25  
Spudland_Dave said:
I guess I've never seen that because even with syn's I "short change" the oils... I change the M1 in my truck every 3,500 miles... I'll change the RTS in her Accord every 3k, and the F935 gets changed every 6 mo's... Only thing about RTS is that the "Synthetic" part is highly debated...
I want to say I looked up the MSDS on some Deere Oils and they were from Chevron at the time...

Now there is information floating around that we should all change our oil in our vehicles less frequently and while there could be some treehugger agenda behind that, I also have been faithfully changing my oil in my Honda or Toyotas at the 3500 mile mark but I have been using plain Castrol oil. Honestly, the oil that comes out doesn't appear to be close to end of life visually so I am tempted now to run the oil to longer change intervals. I thought the use of synthetics was supposed to lengthen the oil change intervals so to change synthetics at 3500 seems to be serious overkill and a waste, IMO.

/ 50 Hour Engine Oil Change - Which Oil #26  
Honestly, the oil that comes out doesn't appear to be close to end of life visually so I am tempted now to run the oil to longer change intervals. I thought the use of synthetics was supposed to lengthen the oil change intervals so to change synthetics at 3500 seems to be serious overkill and a waste, IMO.
Perhaps have Blackstone Laboratories do a UOA on a sample? They send you a free sample kit and stuff.

We're seeing recommended OCI's of 5,000 miles or more (I think I read somewhere that Ford went to 7,500 or 8,000 :eek: on the '08 vehicles). A UOA will cost about what an oil change does (around $35), and they'll let you know if you can safely run the oil even longer. After that UOA, you'll have a good idea of how far you can go before changing the next time.

We do them routinely on our diesel equipment - a lot of times a UOA can alert you to a potential problem before it gets a lot more expensive. Example - they just did a UOA for me on my X595's first run of 0W-40 (results here J-D 0W-40 Semi-Syn. (24 HP Yanmar Diesel) - Bob Is The Oil Guy , and pointed out a higher than normal Silicon content. I'd changed the primary and secondary air filters some time ago. So, I dug around in there, and I think one of them wasn't seated properly, so dust was getting by. Hopefully, that will prevent a bigger problem later on. You never can tell... :(

RWest...
BITOG is a good read....To make a long story short, would you stick with the JD 0-40?
Pretty much at this point I've got to choose between Delvac 1 (M1-TDT) or the JD 0-40 for my next change and to probably what I'll stick with..

/ 50 Hour Engine Oil Change - Which Oil #28  
Hi Dave -
RWest...
BITOG is a good read....To make a long story short, would you stick with the JD 0-40?
Yep. I'm using it in the X595, and going to switch the Gator and 955 over at their fall change-out. I don't remember if you mentioned 0W-40 being one of the Owner's Manual recommendations for your machine, but, if it is, I can't imagine a problem.

From the J-D site Oils and Lubricants in their own words
Plus-50 oil. So good it's guaranteed.
John Deere guarantees Plus-50 motor oil will meet or exceed the performance needs of diesel engines. Regardless of hours or miles, John Deere will pay for any damages (parts and labor) to your engine that are caused by an oil defect. See us for full details on the warranty.
And, the 0W-40 page Oil and Lubricants : Plus-50, 0W-40 says
Plus-50, 0W-40 synthetic motor oil provides the best performance and wear protection for all John Deere diesel engines.
and,
Preferred for all John Deere diesel engines.

Oops!! That wasn't very short, was it? :eek: :D

/ 50 Hour Engine Oil Change - Which Oil #29  
My OM on the 2305 states to use either 5W-30 or 10W-30 engine oil. Plus 50 oil is preferred, but also recommends Torq Guard engine oil.

My question is should I use either of these engine oils, or should I use a 15W-40 as others on this site (and other sites) recommend??

TX,
Ichabod