Oil & Fuel 50 Hour Engine Oil Change - Which Oil

/ 50 Hour Engine Oil Change - Which Oil #1  

Spudland_Dave

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 3520 Cab, Deere F935
Another Conflicting piece of info (Geeze I wish JD would set the record straight)....From the JD Site:

John Deere Break-In Oil is recommended for the first 100 hours of operation in new, remanufactured, and overhauled engines.

50 Hour Engine Oil Change...what to change with...
-JD Break In Oil
-JD Plus 50 15-40

/ 50 Hour Engine Oil Change - Which Oil #2  
Spudland_Dave said:
Another Conflicting piece of info (Geeze I wish JD would set the record straight)....From the JD Site:

John Deere Break-In Oil is recommended for the first 100 hours of operation in new, remanufactured, and overhauled engines.

50 Hour Engine Oil Change...what to change with...
-JD Break In Oil
-JD Plus 50 15-40

Yes, I found conflicting info on my new 3720 when doing the initial 50 hrs service. Contacted Deere online, my dealer as well as this forum. I wound up doing everything just for peace of mind -- all filters and oil including front diff. The dealer strongly recommended using JD breakin oil for another 50 hrs and then change to what is specified in the owners manual at the 100 hour mark on the meter. So this agrees with your info for breakin period. And I agree with you that service intervals should be crystal clear.

/ 50 Hour Engine Oil Change - Which Oil #3  
Out of the two choices you have listed, I would do the plus 50. Factory tolerances are pretty tight these days and i would go for the protection of a higher viscocity oil than a lowwer one. especially if you are working it hard or in areas where you might not get great ventilation to your radiator..(brush hogging weeds when they are in seed)

I switch to synthetic at 50 hours.;)

/ 50 Hour Engine Oil Change - Which Oil
nmu98 said:
Out of the two choices you have listed, I would do the plus 50. Factory tolerances are pretty tight these days and i would go for the protection of a higher viscocity oil than a lowwer one. especially if you are working it hard or in areas where you might not get great ventilation to your radiator..(brush hogging weeds when they are in seed)

I switch to synthetic at 50 hours.;)

The Game plan is to get to Synthetic eventually...but everyone seems to agree that its best to wait till she's broke in...When I got my truck in the fall of 2000 (I was working at the dealership and had/have friends working in the shop)...they all told me to run 10-12k miles on standard dino oil before switching to Syn...ran it 15k on Plain oil then switched to Syn... 176k miles on it now and it doesnt use a drop of oil.
Just got back from the dealer...got me some BreakIn oil...will change it out tonight....dont really want to switch to 15-40 in the dead of winter here...(she's parked in one of them "Tarp" garages currently)...
After talking & searching the interwebs this is my game plan:
-Break In Oil Till 100 hours (which should get me to fall/pre-winter season).
-Switch to Torq-Gard Supreme 5-30 till winter is over...
-April/May of next year I'll switch to Rotella T Syn or Delvac 1...possibly even the JD Syn...its got impressive specs..

/ 50 Hour Engine Oil Change - Which Oil #5  
after I perform the oil change at <100 hours, I am switching to synthetic oil.

/ 50 Hour Engine Oil Change - Which Oil #6  
I have a 2305 coming up for the 50 hour service, the website says 100 hours with break-in oil. My OM states 50 hours for the first service ... which should I do?

Go another 50 hours on break-in, or go to a "regular" oil.

Joe

/ 50 Hour Engine Oil Change - Which Oil
JGY said:
I have a 2305 coming up for the 50 hour service, the website says 100 hours with break-in oil. My OM states 50 hours for the first service ... which should I do?

Go another 50 hours on break-in, or go to a "regular" oil.

Joe

I went with the Break-In oil..Figure I'll run it till 90 or so hours and then I'll change either to a Full Syn or the Torq-Gard Supreme 5-30 for another 50 hours....I just dont want to switch to a full syn "Too Soon"

/ 50 Hour Engine Oil Change - Which Oil #8  
   / 50 Hour Engine Oil Change - Which Oil #9  
Same here. I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic at my 50 hour service.

/ 50 Hour Engine Oil Change - Which Oil #10  
That info certainly is confusing.

Probably wouldn't hurt to re-fill with break-in oil. Whatever the break-in oil is, it must be pretty good stuff, 'cause they fill those $1/2 million combines with it.

In my case (X595; 24 HP Yanmar) I changed over to RTS 5-40 at the 50 hr mark. 300+ hours since, no problems.