Backhoe JD 10 backhoe on JD 5210

/ JD 10 backhoe on JD 5210 #1  

bitternut

Silver Member
Tractor
2000 John Deere 5210 mfwd, John Deere 350C Crawler
Hooked up a model 10 backhoe on my JD 5210 and the backhoe works quite well. The problem is that when the power beyond hose is plugged into the hoe the loader is real slow and appears to have low power. Anyone have any experience with a similar set up

/ JD 10 backhoe on JD 5210 #2  
My "guess" would be that there is a restriction either in the valve on the hoe or possibly in the QD's that you use to connect it. If that is the case, then you could also be overheating the hydraulic oil.

Question: Does the tractor engine sound different-like it's under load when the hoe is connected.

/ JD 10 backhoe on JD 5210
Kennyd the tractor sounds normal using the hoe or the loader. I ran the hoe at low idle for 20 minutes or so and it showed plenty of power and speed. The loader on the other hand moved real slow and needed the rpm to be picked up to about 1700 to show slow travel.

My tractor is a 2000 year model and the backhoe is a model 10. The tractor came equipped with two scv's with a rear hook-up for the loader. I bought the sub-frame brackets and power beyond kit from my dealer and installed to the spec's of the manual. The loader works fine when the backhoe is not hooked up. All other hydraulic functions have been fine. The tractor has the syncshuttle transmission. It also has mfwd and there only about 600 hours on the tractor.

After using the tractor for an hour or so it was parked for the night. The next day the hydraulic sump was topped off and only required about 3 quarts. I did not notice any abnormal noises or higher temperatures when running at idle or higher rpm's.

As far as I know I have everything hooked up right but there is always the possibility that something is screwed up with the install.

/ JD 10 backhoe on JD 5210 #4  
On the valve for the hoe, are the IN/OUT ports clearly labeled? If so, is it possible that it's hooked up backwards? What size hoses are feeding the hoe?

Something on that backhoe is slowing down the flow of hydraulic oil, that can be the only explanation for the loader to slow down when the hoe is hooked up.

Yes kennyd the in and out port are clearly marked. In fact it is cast into the valve body so there is no chance of making a mistake reversing them as long as you read the labels.

The hoses and fittings for the power beyond are 1/2" that came in the kit from John Deere. The hoses from the hoe valve block are also 1/2". The valve block hoses came from NAPA and the fittings came from my Deere dealer. They were replacements of older hoses that came on the hoe but were a little shop worn. I have all the books and manuals for the tractor and the backhoe and it appears as though everything is plumbed up right. I have checked and rechecked everything several times.

/ JD 10 backhoe on JD 5210 #6  
bitternut said:
Yes kennyd the in and out port are clearly marked. In fact it is cast into the valve body so there is no chance of making a mistake reversing them as long as you read the labels.

The hoses and fittings for the power beyond are 1/2" that came in the kit from John Deere. The hoses from the hoe valve block are also 1/2". The valve block hoses came from NAPA and the fittings came from my Deere dealer. They were replacements of older hoses that came on the hoe but were a little shop worn. I have all the books and manuals for the tractor and the backhoe and it appears as though everything is plumbed up right. I have checked and rechecked everything several times.

Hi bitternut, I'm no hydraulic expert (no way) but if you find it's the backhoe valve body, it would be cheaper to install a PTO pump and plumb the hoe to it.
I don't have one like that anymore, but it was sweet, very easy to use, and it appears it would solve your issue if you find the repair is too costly.

good luck........

Well since I was having problems I decided to contact John Deere directly. I was not getting any definitive answers from my dealer so after much trial and error I found the 800 number for customer service. I explained my problem and gave them all the serial numbers and model numbers. They promised to get back to me. That was the week before labor day. About a month later I contacted them again since I had not received a reply yet. I got the same person that I had talked to before and they remembered me and my problem. Once again they promised to research the issue and get back to me with an answer on how to resolve the hydraulic issue.

Well, its now the 30th of October and I am still waiting for a reply. I am very disappointed in John Deere's customer service. More like no service I guess. Looks like if I want a properly functioning backhoe on a tractor I will either have to install a pto pump or swap the whole works in for some orange paint.

/ JD 10 backhoe on JD 5210 #8  
Well since I was having problems I decided to contact John Deere directly. I was not getting any definitive answers from my dealer so after much trial and error I found the 800 number for customer service. I explained my problem and gave them all the serial numbers and model numbers. They promised to get back to me. That was the week before labor day. About a month later I contacted them again since I had not received a reply yet. I got the same person that I had talked to before and they remembered me and my problem. Once again they promised to research the issue and get back to me with an answer on how to resolve the hydraulic issue.

Well, its now the 30th of October and I am still waiting for a reply. I am very disappointed in John Deere's customer service. More like no service I guess. Looks like if I want a properly functioning backhoe on a tractor I will either have to install a pto pump or swap the whole works in for some orange paint.

Mmm, I had a good experience when I used the Deere site "contact", got my answer within 10 days..guess your question is not answerable without actually testing the unit. Don't give up yet..but don't think anyone will be able to shoot you the solution without physically diagnosing it. Good luck with this...you have a great tractor and a great hoe..if you want a Kubota that's one thing, but I believe your issue can be fixed with the right person looking at it.

/ JD 10 backhoe on JD 5210 #9  
Bitternut
Did you ever get this issue resolved?