JD 790 2wd - 4 or 5 foot tiller?

/ JD 790 2wd - 4 or 5 foot tiller? #1  

jd790rf

Tractor
john deere 790
Ok,
I'm thinking about buying a king kutter II 4 or 5 foot rotary tiller for my 27hp jd 790 (25hp pto). Until a couple weeks ago they were 1399 at tsc. Of course they just jumped up to 1499 (5 ft). I have 5ft JD cutter and 5 ft Frontier box blade. Is the 5 ft tiller too big for 790? Some say yes, JD says no. I want to make a vegetable garden and will also need some basic discs' for rowing. Also what does it mean the 4 ft cutter is offset - is that moveable or fixed in one position on left or right of tires?

thanks for any info or feedback

/ JD 790 2wd - 4 or 5 foot tiller? #2  
I have a 790 4X4 and wouldn't hesitate to run a 5' tiller but I don't know if the limitations are more power or traction. What tires do you have?

/ JD 790 2wd - 4 or 5 foot tiller?
Thks,
I just have the standard Ag tires that come on base machine.

/ JD 790 2wd - 4 or 5 foot tiller? #4  
I've got ags too, but again, 4X4. Not many two wheel drives out there. I'd still be inclined to get the 5 foot as it covers the tire tracks. My wild guess is that you'll be fine at 5 foot.

I got the 2wd for 8000 new which I couldn't pass up.

/ JD 790 2wd - 4 or 5 foot tiller? #6  
I used to own a JD790 2WD. I ran a 5ft Landpride tiller with no problems.

/ JD 790 2wd - 4 or 5 foot tiller? #7  
Unless they are counterrotating, tillers tend to push tractors more than require lots of extra traction. I'm sure you will be fine with the 5' version. Some tillers are, or can be "offset" which means that they attach off center enough to cover the wheel track on one side of the tractor.

ok,

I bought the 5foot king kutter 2 and now have it crated in the back of my toyota truck. I'm sure to get it out of the toyota and hope you guys are right. I'd really hate to take it back for the 4' off set model. Incidentally my tractor supply store honored 10% off 3pt equipment / parts today they listed on the web site. Saved me 150 on the tiller.

/ JD 790 2wd - 4 or 5 foot tiller? #9  
The 5' will be fine. You would be dissapointed with the 4'. Mine runs the 5' like gangbusters. Would like to try a 6'

Hondo

Hondo1,

Could you tell me what brand tiller you have or how much it weighs? I assume since you have FEL, you have 4wd? I can't remember when I got so much conflicting info or split decisions on something. I tend to think the 5 foot will work but actually haven't pulled it off the Toyota yet because it will be the devil to get back if it doesn't. Measuring the tines, they are actually 55-56 inches not 60 on the king kutter but there is that spec that says 690 lbs which seems close to the 815 lift rating on the 790......Does your's weigh that much?

thks for the reply