3020 Hydraulics

/ 3020 Hydraulics #1  

3020 JD

If I just cleaned the screen and change the filter will I lose all my hydraulic oil. I want to put in a new filter and clean the screen but I dont want to lose all the hydraulic oil because it is high price stuff for a 5 gallon bucket. Will I lose any oil by just putting in the filter. Thank You!!

/ 3020 Hydraulics #2  
I don't think you'll lose much fluid changing the filter, but the screen is a different story. Is there a reason you think the screen needs cleaning? Scheduled maintenance or some other reason? If you're not having any problem (like jerky or sluggish hydraulics), you might think twice about cleaning the screen unless the maintenance schedule calls for it.

If I need to clean the screen but not replace the hydraulic fluid (like when my backhoe cylinder had seals breaking down) here's what I do. I run my tractor until it's hot (I actually use the tractor so the hydraulics heat up). Then I clean off the grime around the drain plug, and then drain the fluid into a clean bucket/tub (be sure it's big enough to hold all the fluid). Then I put that same fluid back in. If I had any reason to think it was contaminated I'd run it through an old tee-shirt as a filter, but I've never done that with hydraulic fluid. That fluid must still pass through the screen and filter before it gets to the pump, so it can handle minor contamination. Of course, you should replace the fluid with new fluid according to your maintenance schedule.

Be sure to examine your screen for bits of rubber which could indicate that the seals in one or more of your hydraulic cylinders are deteriorating.

/ 3020 Hydraulics #3  
3020 JD said:
If I just cleaned the screen and change the filter will I lose all my hydraulic oil. I want to put in a new filter and clean the screen but I dont want to lose all the hydraulic oil because it is high price stuff for a 5 gallon bucket. Will I lose any oil by just putting in the filter. Thank You!!

3020 JD s this a used unit or a new unit? If new, then why are you changing the fluid so soon? Is this related to the other thread you startted? If it is related to the other thread, please see my response and nmu98's, as that may save you some time.

/ 3020 Hydraulics
Nuru said:
3020 JD s this a used unit or a new unit? If new, then why are you changing the fluid so soon? Is this related to the other thread you startted? If it is related to the other thread, please see my response and nmu98's, as that may save you some time.
Nuru a 3020 is old tractors. Mine is a 1965 model. It is getting old and the lift just dont want to work right anymore. Well I found out the problem on that and it is a leaking piston o ring around the piston that works the lift. It is easy to replace and a 3020 dont have a hitch valve somebody mentioned.

/ 3020 Hydraulics #5  
3020 JD said:
Nuru a 3020 is old tractors. Mine is a 1965 model. It is getting old and the lift just dont want to work right anymore. Well I found out the problem on that and it is a leaking piston o ring around the piston that works the lift. It is easy to replace and a 3020 dont have a hitch valve somebody mentioned.

Oh, i am sorry, I did not realize - number confusion in the middle of working on a couple of projects!