4210 Operator Off Seat Rear PTO Problem

/ 4210 Operator Off Seat Rear PTO Problem #1  

GoodGuy

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4210 E-Hydro
Hoping that someone has had the same problem & can help. I follow the procedure in the manual for engaging the rear PTO with the operator off the seat but when I pull the PTO knob the engine shutsdown. E-Hydro in Neutral, Operator on Seat, Park Brake Engaged & RPM to 1500. Operator stands up & when the PTO is engaged the engine should continue to run; it does not! Checked fuses & juggled relays without any luck. Seat Switch tests good & although I didn't find the brake switch, when depressed it deactivates the cruise & light is on in the dash. With e-hydro I don't see where there is a neutral switch. I'm tired of putting buckets of sand on the seat to be able to run the PTO. Can anyone help here??

/ 4210 Operator Off Seat Rear PTO Problem #2  
Does the seat need to be tipped forward? I thought it did:confused:

/ 4210 Operator Off Seat Rear PTO Problem
Geez Kenny....
I wasn't doing that, is it that simple??

/ 4210 Operator Off Seat Rear PTO Problem #4  
I am not 100% sure, but I think so...but thinking has gotten me in trouble before so proceed with extreme caution;)

I know on mine (NOT E-Hydro), I have to raise the seat and pull the seat switch UP to use the PTO off seat.

I just looked up the manual online:

I guess I am wrong...

NOTE: The rear PTO can be engaged with the operator off the seat. The Safety Interlock System will stop the engine and all implements if the mid-PTO is engaged and the operator gets off the seat. Engaging Rear PTO
1. Sit on operator痴 seat.
2. Move transmission to neutral position:
PowrReverser: Depress clutch pedal completely and move the transmission gear and range shift levers to the N (neutral) position. Move the reverser lever to the N (neutral) position.
eHydro: Move the range shift lever to the N (neutral) position.
3. Lock park brake.
4. Push all PTO engagement knobs to the disengaged/off position.
NOTE: The starter will not crank if the rear PTO knob is pulled to the engaged/on position.
5. Start the engine and adjust speed to 1500 rpm.
6. Get off the operator痴 seat.
7. Engage rear PTO:
Tractors without cab - Pull the rear PTO engagement knob to the engaged/on position.
Tractors with cab - Move the PTO selector lever to rearward position for rear PTO only. Pull the rear PTO engagement knob to the engaged/on position.
8. The instrument panel PTO engaged light will illuminate when the rear PTO is engaged.
9. The engine should continue to run.
10. Adjust the hand throttle lever forward to the desired speed for implement used.
NOTE: The PTO marker on the tachometer indicates engine speed for a standard 540 PTO.
Disengaging Rear PTO

1. Adjust engine rpm to low idle or below.
2. Push all PTO engagement knobs to the disengaged/off position.
3. The instrument panel PTO engaged light will go out when the rear PTO is disengaged.

/ 4210 Operator Off Seat Rear PTO Problem #5  
kennyd said:
6. Get off the operator's seat.
7. Engage rear PTO:
Note that you're supposed to get off the seat before you engage the PTO.

Think about it this way: Suppose you engaged the PTO and then got off the machine. To the safety system that looks exactly like the PTO is engaged and you fell off the machine.

I am following the instructions in the manual to the tee & when I go to engage the PTO after getting off the seat the engine shuts down. I thought Kennyd had something when he suggested flip the seat forward but that wasn't the fix. Anyone else had this situation?? Thanks

/ 4210 Operator Off Seat Rear PTO Problem #7  
On my 4720 e-hydro - here is how I do it (I had the same problem)

Parking Brake on (does not have to be in neutral).
Operator off the seat.
Engage PTO
Throttle up

If you get back on the seat and then back off while the pTO is running - it will die when you get up.

I use this procedure all the time for my woodchipper.

D.

Thanks Darin...
Unfortunately no go.
Tried your method with no success; sounded good though & had a spark of hope so thanks anyway
Anyone else out there???

/ 4210 Operator Off Seat Rear PTO Problem #9  
Probably not even relative, but my 790 seat switch needs to be pulled 'up' to engage off seat PTO.

You don't think......

/ 4210 Operator Off Seat Rear PTO Problem #10  
GoodGuy said:
Thanks Darin...
Unfortunately no go.
Tried your method with no success; sounded good though & had a spark of hope so thanks anyway
Anyone else out there???

I read the model number wrong - my brain told me 4120, not 4210.

D.