Dimples on Plastic Hood

/ Dimples on Plastic Hood #1  

Engine66

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2305 & 4720/400cx/BH448
Anyone else have these dimples on their plastic hoods? I have a 4720 and the dimples are the result of underhood mounting points for hood frame hinge. My dealer was cool and said he would exchange the hood for another 4720, but after checking, found many of the same dimples exist on all the 4x20s. An outright replacement of the hood and decals would be 4 figures with no guarantee that the dimples would not exist. I've had the tractor 7 months with 60+ hours and it really does not bother me, but I was curious if any of you have the same dimples. I have a 2305 and it has a metal hood...honestly, I prefer the metal for no other reason than it's a tractor and I like good old-fasioned metal. Do the 2320, 2520, & 2720 series tractors have plastic hoods and dimples as well? Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC04426.JPG
    DSC04426.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 357
   / Dimples on Plastic Hood #2  
My 2007 3720 had a few dimples and my 2008 has one. I like the plastic hoods as they do not dent after they are new. Same with the fenders. My old 5203 and 4020 had tools on them and suffered a bit.

/ Dimples on Plastic Hood #3  
I have the same on the 3520; had the same on the 3320... I think they are probably remnants of the injection or roto-molding... can't remember if I checked to see if they were "welded" to more reinforcing plastic under the hood or not...

I have pinched & pushed them pretty good, and the nice thing is, so far they popped right back out instead of collapsing.

/ Dimples on Plastic Hood #4  
Glad to see these posts. I thought maybe my 3320 was the only one with several dimples in the hood. :( I have not tried to push them out. The hood seems to fairly tough material.

/ Dimples on Plastic Hood #5  
Ordite said:
Glad to see these posts. I thought maybe my 3320 was the only one with several dimples in the hood. :( I have not tried to push them out. The hood seems to fairly tough material.

My 16 mos old 3720 and 8 mos old 4320 both have dimples as you describe but doesn't really bother me. What bothers me a lot more is having a cab with A/C and heat system that doesn't work too well.

/ Dimples on Plastic Hood #6  
Hiya,

The dents remind me of the ones on my 2520 steel hood, oh ya, that would be after my wife bounced a few pieces of cordwood out of the bucket and onto the hood the second day we had it......

Should have known better than to let her drive it, she's backed into my pickup 3 times and the Freightliner once.... :confused:

Tom

/ Dimples on Plastic Hood #7  
My 3320 is the same. At first I thought it might be hail damage. But no, that is just how they are made.

KB

/ Dimples on Plastic Hood #8  
I'm not crazy about the exposed spot welds on the rear fender caps of the 2520 either. Reminds me of the ones you used to see on Toyota pickups in the 70's/80's.

/ Dimples on Plastic Hood
tomd999 said:
Hiya,

The dents remind me of the ones on my 2520 steel hood, oh ya, that would be after my wife bounced a few pieces of cordwood out of the bucket and onto the hood the second day we had it......

Should have known better than to let her drive it, she's backed into my pickup 3 times and the Freightliner once.... :confused:

Tom

Tom,

Your wife and mine have a lot in common...maybe they are related somehow:)

Ok, so do all the 2x20s have metal hoods...even the 2720? Just curious. Unfortunately, my curiousity tends to lead to a dealer vist. Then the dealer insists on getting me a cup of coffee and moments later, amazingly, I say things like "I'll take that one." Maybe I should cut back on the coffee...

/ Dimples on Plastic Hood #10  
I'm pretty sure mine's plastic or fiberglass. Guess I might need to put a magnet on it to verify.