Oil & Fuel 3x20 Cab fuel guage.

/ 3x20 Cab fuel guage. #21  
We have 2x 3520s that have the same issues. The one I drive seems to be good now though. But last year, let me tell you I was mad when I was plowing a driveway with "full tank of fuel", when I suddenly dropped to 1/16 and the low fuel warning came on.

Now this year my gauge is doing great, but the other machine's seems to be stuck on full, no matter what.

They do pretty good on fuel though, mine lasted around 8 hours, blasting through nearly 2 feet of snow @ 2550 RPMs, and 2900 rpm on the road. The only time I ever drop the rpms in a snowstorm is to engage pto...

/ 3x20 Cab fuel guage. #22  
We have 2x 3520s that have the same issues. The one I drive seems to be good now though. But last year, let me tell you I was mad when I was plowing a driveway with "full tank of fuel", when I suddenly dropped to 1/16 and the low fuel warning came on.

Mine did just that last night, gauge on full then all of a sudden drop to empty and low fuel warning. But since I had filled it about 3 hours prior it can't be empty. Called in yesterday and local JD dealer says they "are aware of the issue" but have no word from HQ about it. The low fuel warning is puzzling as it doesn't always appear to have anything to do with gauge position. It sometimes happen when gauge reads full, other times when it reads anywhere from empty to 3/4, and most of the time the warning appears when there's plenty of fuel left or even with tank still so full I can see the fuel under the cap. So both the mechanical gauge and the computer have fuel related malfunctions that appear to be independent from each other, quite intriguing.

This wouldn't be as frustrating if it were easy to use a makeshift dipstick to check actual fuel level but tank configuration doesn't allow this. I guess I'll see if it's feasible with some sort of flexible tube or hose. I do commercial snow removal so I spend a lot of time on the road and find myself spending way too much time at gas stations needlessly filling 'er up to make sure I won't get stranded which is quite annoying, not to mention time-consuming. For a machine that cost as much as a luxury car I find this problem difficult to justify.

/ 3x20 Cab fuel guage. #23  
Update. I just went out and started the tractor, and now gauge is back at full and low fuel warning gone. Last night when I turned it off gauge was at empty with warning on. Tractor hasn't move an inch between shutoff last night and starting engine a few minutes ago. Dipped an old piece of TV cable in the tank, came out wet which tells me there is fuel in there but how much is anyone's guess.

Edit: went to the gas station and she took $18 which is about half a tank.

Last edited:
   / 3x20 Cab fuel guage. #24  
Karl2, well it could be that someone put some fuel in your tank while you slept? :D

Gee I hope JD publishes a fix for this and we can all go get it done. Lotta tractor and lotta cost for this kind of problem on the fuel gauge.

/ 3x20 Cab fuel guage. #25  
My 3520 Cab since new has sat on "F" for hours of use without budging and then drops over the course of only a further 1-2 hours down to "E" and a low fuel warning light. Then it takes about 10 gallons, so there is still some reserve, (about 1 gallon), left. I have never attempted to keep strict track of it's consumption but it would be pretty easy to do with the hour meter and a small log. I would suggest those of you afflicted with the faulty gauges use that temporary fix until JD comes up with something. No fun to get stuck commercially blowing snow with an empty tank or needless refueling or hauling fuel out to the woods or in a field and then hand priming.

/ 3x20 Cab fuel guage. #26  
I do commercial snow removal. I fuel 'er up every 4 hours or so and it takes about half a tank each time. I know it could go on quite longer but I figure that since I have that gauge problem may as well be winter-wise and keep the tank at least half full at all times.

Situation has evolved towards a new level of ridicule lately; now I usually get the "LoFuel" warning right after I top off the tank so I'm wondering if I could change the display to read "LotsFuel" instead.

/ 3x20 Cab fuel guage. #27  
Yeah, that might be a good thing LOL!

/ 3x20 Cab fuel guage. #28  
Haha, that could work!

Our tech at the dealer said they're terrible for readings, he's ordered 2 new ones that have yet to go in. Even they are amazed at how pretty much none of them work properly:confused:

/ 3x20 Cab fuel guage. #30  
I have to really take a look at how mine actually works.