MMM vs RFM

/ MMM vs RFM #1  

Brahmus

Silver Member
Going down the list to dial in the 3520 I want. I'll have about 5.5 acres to mow after all the clearing and cleaning up. Half open, Half treed, but tall trees. I also have 2 riding offbrand mowers if needed.

Anyone with experience with both give me the pros, con's and suggestions on what model would be best for my machine, area.

/ MMM vs RFM #2  
Well on a 3520 for a MMM you will need the mid PTO, rear SCV and probably 72" 7-Iron MMM - not cheap - dedicated setup. This will let you cut outside circles around things much easier than a RFM. Tight inside corners will still need supplemental trimming and if you back / drive into a corner it will still be about 3 feet short. Stability on hills may be better with MMM.

RFM will be a lot cheaper, especially if you don't need mid PTO or Rear SCV for anything else. Cutting around things is more difficult, especially need to watch whale tail effect. You can back into corners, under things, over things - not possible with MMM. Rear discharge type RFM will not leave wind rows of cut grass like side discharge. RFM will work on any brand tractor with sufficient HP.

Day after cut quality - probably no one could tell the difference, if both are quality units.

I'd say, the more open the cutting area - better suited to RFM. More obstacles - MMM.

/ MMM vs RFM
Great explaination. Sounds like I'll be going with a RFM. I can't justify the extra $$ for a MMM that may only slightly increase the ease of cutting. and a very good point that a RFM can be pulled by any brand tractor.

/ MMM vs RFM #4  
Let me add my $.02. I've got a 3720 cab with a 82" Frontier rear finish mower thats being loaned to me by my dealer(thanks Jim). I've been using it all summer to mow my lawn which is about 2 acres and I've used it 3 OR 4 times to mow out at the local airport which is about 10 acres. My old unit was a 4100hst with a 60" mmm so I do have about 8 years of experience with that. While I like the RFM I really can't wait for my MMM to arrive. The RFM is great for large open areas, but when there are a lot of trees to go it's a pain in the neck(literally). It's hard to mow around edging, trees, and corners. Mainly because of the swing. The wheels like to tear into the grass when going from forward to reverse if the ground is soft, so I'm constantly lifting the deck slightly to get the wheels to rotate in the right direction. On the positive side, it's an absolute mowing monster in the open areas, it's build like a tank, and the cut quality is very good. Also sharpening the blades is very easy. I have the top and tilt kit so I can get the deck way up in the air. I always found my old MMM far more maneuverable for getting around trees and edging. A very good cut quality and removal of the unit was only about a 3 minute job. I realize that the 3720 is larger than my old 4100 so it probably won't be quite as maneuverable. The MMM is more money, but it's well spent. In my opinion. I'm currently waiting for the new drive over decks to come out. Should be soon.

/ MMM vs RFM #5  
js, same here., i actually saved some bucks by looking for a used 72 7 iron and I got a 2006 7 iron MMM for my 2008 3520, and i gotta tell you that big vacuum works real well. i gotta go head and sharpen my blades though. I think I will get an extra set and trade them off - one goes dul and the other goes on.

Ooops forgot, i also have a flail mower, so I guess I am really kinda neutral.

/ MMM vs RFM #6  
Brahmus said:
Going down the list to dial in the 3520 I want. I'll have about 5.5 acres to mow after all the clearing and cleaning up. Half open, Half treed, but tall trees. I also have 2 riding offbrand mowers if needed.

Anyone with experience with both give me the pros, con's and suggestions on what model would be best for my machine, area.

How much does the MMM cost with everything you need?

A RFM might be a better call - easier to take off, etc when you aren't using it.

Now, mowing around things can be a bit more work with a RFM, but you have e-hyrdo in that thing, so it won't be too bad. The biggest headache will be turning around to back up under tress, etc.

Maybe the dealer can let you demo each?

Also, you need to consider widths. The wider the deck, the higher the chance of scalping your yard.

D.

/ MMM vs RFM #7  
I have both a MMM (side discharge) and a RFM (rear discharge).
Personally I much prefer the rear discharge RFM.
The rear finish mower is cheaper to buy, much easier/faster to remove install, Its rear discharge so I can trim from either side.

/ MMM vs RFM #8  
DK35vince said:
I have both a MMM (side discharge) and a RFM (rear discharge).
Personally I much prefer the rear discharge RFM.
The rear finish mower is cheaper to buy, much easier/faster to remove install, Its rear discharge so I can trim from either side.

That is a good point about the rear discharge piece. Does it plug up any?

I tell ya - working on a RFM has got to be a lot easier than a MMM.

D.

/ MMM vs RFM #9  
ddivinia said:
That is a good point about the rear discharge piece. Does it plug up any?
I tell ya- working on a RFM has got to be a lot easier than a MMM.
No. It distributes the clippings very well. And its a lot easier to work on than the MMM.
The rear discharge mows very nice. Seems to show a lot less clippings than my side discharge MMM.
I rarely use my MMM. I prefer the rear finish mower.

/ MMM vs RFM #10  
I had this same dilemma, I went 72 mmm on 4310 because I didn't want to always be turned around to see the edge of the cut. I would love the rear discharge of rmm as a 72 makes windrows if you turn around and go the opposite of direction ( I like the golf course look) but I have too much to trim around. Also my tractor was used and had mid PTO and found a great deal on 72 mmm that was a demo at a local dealer. The price was a wash.