JD 4320 Battery Leakage and Related Corrosion

/ JD 4320 Battery Leakage and Related Corrosion #1  

Zinno87

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4320
I know that this issue has been discussed in the past, but I just thought that I'd share my experience. I've got a 4320 that I've had for about 1 year and 8 months. I've noticed some corrosion on the front lip of the battery box in the past, but it has become more apparent in other locations lately. I removed the battery the other day and noticed more corrosion under it, around the base of the radiator, and even on the upper part of the front axle. I spoke to my dealer about the issue and he said that JD recognizes the leakage as a problem. While they recognize the problem, the only solution that they offer is to purchase a new battery, with drain hose kit, which collects the gasses, condenses them, and drains them below the machine. The price of the battery is $121.62 and the price of the drain hose kit is $7.50. So, for almost $130, I can fix the problem, which JD recognizes, but fails to take responsibility for. I filed a complaint with JD this morning and was told that they would review it within a week. The JD representative that I spoke with told me that I would be contacted if the result of the review was in my favor, otherwise, they would just close the case and never contact me to inform me of the results.

I think that this whole situation is ridiculous. They should repalce the battery....period.

Here's some more information on the problem.

Battery part# TY26442 $121.62
hose part # LVA15506 $7.50

Solution Number: 70101
Solution Summary: 4x20 - Radiator corrosion caused by gases from the battery.
Publication Date: Nov 28 2007

**Paper copies of solutions may not be the most current solutions**
Complaint or Symptom :
The lower radiator tank shows signs of corrosion under the LVU15586 isolator.
Problem or Situation :
Gases are escaping from the battery in one of the following two ways, which is leading to the corrosion.
1) The battery caps are not tightened to 15 lbs-in and allow the gases to escape.
2) The battery caps are too tight and causing the seals to lose the ability to retain the gases.
Solution :
A new battery (part number TY26442) has been released to address the corrosion issue.
In conjunction with the new battery, a gas venting tube (part number LVA15506) is used to direct the battery gas to the underside of the battery tray.
Use the attached link to see where the hole in the tray should be located (70101_1.jpg ). If the existing tray does not have a hole, use the diagram to determine where to drill the hole.

Attachments

• 70101_1.jpg
    70101_1.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 462
   / JD 4320 Battery Leakage and Related Corrosion #2  
Here is my experience with this exact problem on my 4320. I noticed battery acid on the concrete floor 7 mos after taking delivery. Removed the battery and found lots of acid and corrosion and called the dealer. He said JD had issued a "PIP" (product improvement ....) and that they would pick up the tractor, clean up the battery box, paint the corroded area, install a new battery and drain hose at no charge.
After posting my dilemma here, several folks recommended replacing with an Optima Red Top battery which is a sealed unit. I purchased one (group 34) but could not get the battery hold-down to work so returned it. Figured I'd let the dealer fix it for free.

I understand many 4000 series tractors are having this problem - probably many have the problem and don't even know it if the tractor is parked on dirt or gravel floor. This is clearly a design issue which JD recognizes and should be covered by JD especially if unit is still under warranty, no questions asked.

/ JD 4320 Battery Leakage and Related Corrosion
Both my dealer and JD told be that there were no PIP's issued to repair the problem. They said that there were notices issued. I posted the notice in my first post. Do you have any information on the PIP? Maybe a number or something?

Thanks

/ JD 4320 Battery Leakage and Related Corrosion #4  
Zinno87 said:
Both my dealer and JD told be that there were no PIP's issued to repair the problem. They said that there were notices issued. I posted the notice in my first post. Do you have any information on the PIP? Maybe a number or something?

Thanks

Yea, I checked the JD PIP website (below) and didn't find it. Could be the dealer used wrong choice of words ie, PIP, which is a proactive formal product improvement program. I suspect the "battery fix" is more of the quiet type where fixes are only provided on "as needed and approved" basis when customers complain. I do know the dealer was unaware of this problem when I first talked to him. He called me back a day later after he contacted JD and told me they'd take care of it as described in my previous post. I still feel strongly JD should take care of your problem. Good luck.

Product Improvement Process : : John Deere

/ JD 4320 Battery Leakage and Related Corrosion #5  
I know that this issue has been discussed in the past, but I just thought that I'd share my experience. I've got a 4320 that I've had for about 1 year and 8 months. I've noticed some corrosion on the front lip of the battery box in the past, but it has become more apparent in other locations lately. I removed the battery the other day and noticed more corrosion under it, around the base of the radiator, and even on the upper part of the front axle. I spoke to my dealer about the issue and he said that JD recognizes the leakage as a problem. While they recognize the problem, the only solution that they offer is to purchase a new battery, with drain hose kit, which collects the gasses, condenses them, and drains them below the machine. The price of the battery is $121.62 and the price of the drain hose kit is $7.50. So, for almost $130, I can fix the problem, which JD recognizes, but fails to take responsibility for. I filed a complaint with JD this morning and was told that they would review it within a week. The JD representative that I spoke with told me that I would be contacted if the result of the review was in my favor, otherwise, they would just close the case and never contact me to inform me of the results.

I think that this whole situation is ridiculous. They should replace the battery....period.............

JD dealer returned my 4320 today with the battery/acid problem fixed as you described above with new battery and vent tube. Dealer also replaced the radiator to fix coolant leak, and fuel sending unit to fix inaccurate fuel gage. All fixed under warranty and no charge for transportation. I am very happy with the way my dealer and John Deere has handled the issues without any haggling whatsoever.

/ JD 4320 Battery Leakage and Related Corrosion #6  
Did they resolve this for good on the new ones? I should check my 2008 I just got to see if it has the vent tube.

D.

/ JD 4320 Battery Leakage and Related Corrosion #7  
Oh good grief, I would think Deere would have had this problem solved by now.

I had a leaky battery eat away the HST oil cooler on mine a few years ago. It was an unpleasant sight to see hydraulic fluid spewing out all over the place when the cooler let go. Fortunately it was covereed under warranty.

/ JD 4320 Battery Leakage and Related Corrosion #8  
Did they resolve this for good on the new ones? I should check my 2008 I just got to see if it has the vent tube.

D.

Not sure about 2008 units. Actually I'm not sure whether mine is 2007 or 2008. I purchased it new Nov 2007. The new battery has a vent tube coming out the top left side which will carry any excess liquid or gases down and out underneath the battery compartment so there should be no damage to tractor including radiator. I'd think John Deere would go to this on the newer tractors. Actually, my 3720 does not have the vent tube and I have never seen any signs of acid causing damage like the 4320, so maybe not all 3000/4000 tractors exhibit this problem. I'll post a picture of the new setup.
I'm happy with the fix they provided.

/ JD 4320 Battery Leakage and Related Corrosion #9  
My new 4520 was built March 31, 2008. I will check it and report back.

D.

/ JD 4320 Battery Leakage and Related Corrosion #10  
Not sure about 2008 units. Actually I'm not sure whether mine is 2007 or 2008.......... I'll post a picture of the new setup............

Here is a photo of the new style JD battery. The vent tube is connected to back corner of battery and goes down thru the flat and discharges to the ground.

Attachments

• 100_0567.jpg
    100_0567.jpg
    457.8 KB · Views: 1,004