RFM on a 3720

/ RFM on a 3720 #1  

nmu98

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5203, JD 3720, JD 4110, JD 445, IH 1586, IH 886, IH 404......
I need some help with a decision I will be making in the next 24 hours.

I have a 3720 cab tractor that I use to maintain 20 acres of nursury. The bucket gets removed all the time, but the loader stays attached. I have a 2 acres yard without a lot of trees and I have a 445 with a 60 inch deck to do the cutting.

The idea of a RFM has been in the back of my head, knowing that no matter if I could or not, I would not use it to cut my front yard over the septic system.

I have stumbled upon 2 RFM's, both a good brand, both at a pretty good price.
My choice is:
A 3 year old 60" that has been stored inside and is supposed to be in great shape without a scratch. It has an extra set of blades and is set up for the I match.

A 3 year old 72" that has been stored outside. It was missing one of the tires and it was replaces with a new one. Not set up for I match. Nothing extra.

The difference is 250 for the mowers, and the 72 would need the i match set up. The 60 would just be an inch or two over the tire width...

I guess I keep second guessing the fact that I really need this. And I dont, its a toy.... So I would use it once and a while on hot days to sit in the AC and rock out on the radio. I think the 60 would be fine, since it seems to be a much better deal. Both items cost under 1000.00.

What do you think.:confused:

/ RFM on a 3720
Here is a pick of the 72"

31370.JPG

You can see the new tire and mount. The paint is bad... And I store all my stuff inside...

/ RFM on a 3720 #3  
I think you would be better with the 72" mower for that tractor. The 60" mower will cover your tracks. However, you will not be satisified in the long term if you have to do any mowing next to objects. The 15-20% more width will also make the mowing that much faster. I have 60" that I use mostly with my DX29 Case-Ih which has width of 59". It works but there are better options. (I already had the mower when I used it on a Kubota B7100.)
The Sitrex appears to be in very good condtion in the picture but pictures often makes things appear better than what they are IMHO. I would go with the Sitrex, IF the mower can be adapted for the I-match. It seems a little strange that a mower that new is still not Cat I compliant. Can the bottom pins be reversed to the inside to match? I use a Spee-co/Harbor Freight type quick hitch with an adapter link on the top so the mower can flex over the ground contour. I don't like the JD I match because it doesn't have the adjustability like other similar style quick hitches. Even my JD dealer also sells different quick hitches other than the I-match.
I have used a 72" and now 84" rhino and 60" TSC finish mowers. Both seemed to cut good and maybe the TSC a little better. I use the 84" on my Jd 3720 and power is no issue. I once get the mower going to deep in grass. Started smoking the belt. Tractor has a cab and I didn't know it until saw the smoke outside the window. Never affected the tractor rpm. Your 3720 has lots of power for almost any finish mower. Heck, you could even run a 3 gang mower!

Your other option is to keep looking. 72" mowers are common.

/ RFM on a 3720
Thanks for the reply. The sitrex is cat 1 compliant. Just the 60 has all the stuff needed. (bushings and floating top connector)

The 72 looks bad in the picture compared to the 60. You could put the 60 back on the showroom floor. Plus, you see the leaks in the 72"er's gear box...

Don't know...

Im not worried about power at all... Just use..... Seems the 60 would be easy to mow around stuff since its right in line with the tires.. or close.

/ RFM on a 3720 #5  
I think the 60" is to narrow for a 3720. I'm using a 84' Frontier on my 3720. I would think having a narrower one would make it harder to edge around stuff. The 3720 has no problem with running the 84". If your not happy with either of these just keep waiting until something else comes up. Don't rush into buying equipment that has compromises especially if you don't need it right now. My $.02.

Attachments

• DSCN3787.jpg
    DSCN3787.jpg
    810.7 KB · Views: 266
   / RFM on a 3720
Price is my motivating factor. I guess I need to take a back seat and see what comes up. I just need to be ready to spend double...:(

/ RFM on a 3720 #7  
The 60" is definitely to small for your machine, no doubt about it...

/ RFM on a 3720 #8  
Price is my motivating factor. I guess I need to take a back seat and see what comes up. I just need to be ready to spend double...:(

Nee-go-she-ate!

With the issues you noticed, use those to get the 72 down in price. Then refurb it and repaint it!

/ RFM on a 3720
Yeah... But I have been thinking alot.... I know...

When cutting a small tree nusury, I like the fact that if the tires don't hit it, it does not get mowed.... My MX5 is great for this. Long of it, this would not be for my lawn. I might mow an acre of it, but not much more due to not wanting the weight or the tracks on the "nice" part.

So..... Yes the 72 would be nice..... but for the price difference, and the fact that I would have to look back more often, I think the 60 might work better.

/ RFM on a 3720 #10  
I don't think you will be happy in the long run with the 60". You will have to almost rub the trees with the tractor to even get the 60" close. Cab tractor will even be worse because you will be so close to objects. Your money ....