john deere 1070 won,t start

/ john deere 1070 won,t start #11  
When cranking; are you getting white smoke?

/ john deere 1070 won,t start #12  
I'm no diesel mechanic; so, consider the source...

Direct injection diesel engines force fuel into the combustion chamber and "crack" open the injector with high pressure; yes?

Bad or failing injector pumps cause an engine to be hard starting and rougher running (uneven) with poorer fuel economy; yes? I believe that this is a slower developing condition and not something that typically happens "overnight"; yes?

That said, has your 1070 been acting up for awhile? It could be your fuel injector pump..

It's not the fuel shut-off selenoid... you've got fuel to the pump, etc. and you don't have fuel down the injector lines to the injectors, yes?

AKfish

/ john deere 1070 won,t start
i do have fuel to the injectors it just wont start

/ john deere 1070 won,t start #14  
Pump not developing enough pressure to open the injectors..?

Not to get too far off track here but --- have noted a post or two related to pump failures possibly related to the new ULSD fuel.

I have been using PowerService for the past 3 years (gelling problem, initially) and have since seen (on TV) diesel owners that have had pump failures with the new diesel fuel.

Might need to have the pump checked out at either your dealer or a good diesel shop.

AKfish

/ john deere 1070 won,t start #15  
Is it cranking too slow? If it's not cranking fast enough it's not going to have enough heat in the cylinders to fire even though you have fuel. If it is cranking slow try connecting another vehicle and jump start it and heat the glow plugs for 15 seconds. Also the 1070 should have a hand operated primer pump right under the injector pump. There shouldn't be any need to crack lines if you run out of fuel. You can tell when you pump the pump if you are getting fuel as you will start to feel resistance as you pump. I don't think you can pull start this tractor as it would need to be in neutral to start. Unless you bypass the neutral kill switch.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ john deere 1070 won,t start #16  
does it have a fuel cutoff solenoid? or do you manually pull a lever to shut it down? if you shut it off with the key then I would check the fuel cutoff solenoid on the injection pump. Turn the key to on the push in the plunger and try to start the machine, you can also pull the boot back and wipe the piston clean. a little wd40 and put the boot back on.

/ john deere 1070 won,t start #17  
thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately it still wont start the solanoid pulls in fine every idea seem to point in the right direction but i still connot get the thing to crank over is it possible that the injectors got clogged and is there any way to know if the fuel is getting past the injectors

Make sure that your fuel supply screen at the tank isn't clogged. Then open the bleeders on the fuel filter(s) and make sure that you have fuel there with no bubbles. I fy ou don't, bleed that till you do. Is there a bleed screw on your injection pump? I f there is, bleed that. Then redo the injector bleed.

/ john deere 1070 won,t start #18  
The only way to know for sure, is to remove the injectors and connect them to the fuel lines while injector is hanging in the air. Then crank engine and see if any fuel sprays out.

/ john deere 1070 won,t start #19  
Both these suggestions will give you some real answers...Get some local help....or test it yourself.
1st: Do you have enough fuel pressure.
2nd: if not .. why not . If yes, what are you lacking..., injector operation, compression, timing.

Pump not developing enough pressure to open the injectors..?
Not to get too far off track here but --- have noted a post or two related to pump failures possibly related to the new ULSD fuel.

I have been using PowerService for the past 3 years (gelling problem, initially) and have since seen (on TV) diesel owners that have had pump failures with the new diesel fuel.

Might need to have the pump checked out at either your dealer or a good diesel shop.
AKfish

The only way to know for sure, is to remove the injectors and connect them to the fuel lines while injector is hanging in the air. Then crank engine and see if any fuel sprays out.

OR....borrow or rent a fuel pressure tester for a diesel engine ..and a high pressure engine compression tester..From what you said earlier : you aren't sure if you ran out of fuel..right? Maybe your pump got just worn enough to lack the pressure necessary to trigger the injectors. (we hope not)

It's time to get on the scene help with this ..or get readings..ie: fuel pressure...cylinder compression...fuel pump timing...

/ john deere 1070 won,t start #20  
what u need to do is take a gasoline soaked rag and hold it over the intake, HOLD ON TO IT TIGHTLY. then try to crank the engine if it does nt crank its the injectors. If it does crank but runs either eratically, or smokes excessively. its the injector pump