john deere 1070 won,t start

/ john deere 1070 won,t start #1  

MICHAELL

i think i may have run it out of gas but the fuel filter tanks were both full i was not getting fuel to the injector heads i opened up the lines on top of the pump
and adjusted them i have fuel at the injector head i blead out the lines and it still won't start any ideas

/ john deere 1070 won,t start #2  
Have you opened each injector line at injector? ..just to be sure, also more information would help..does it crank okay, not slow? Any debris or water in filter? Does it pop, sputter, or does it crank fine and not even a burp?

Check all fuses, relays etc. and get back to us.

BTW, Welcome aboard..

/ john deere 1070 won,t start
from the beginning of this trip i though that there was something electrical are the some relays that have to do with the starting. it seems to turn over just fine but not even a hint it is going to start yes i cracked all the injectors . i got rid of all the bubbles and not a burp.

/ john deere 1070 won,t start #4  
I recently sold my 770 and with that went my repair manual, it covered the 1070 as well.
Unless we start from the begining and check the major components it's just hit or miss, and without my repair manual I'm hesitant to suggest the next step. If you've checked the fuses and relays, and made sure everything is getting power, perhaps the thing to do is buy a repair manual, although maybe someone here may be able to guide you through the steps.

Diagnosis is an underappreciated part of mechanical repair, it takes an understanding of how the machine works and where to check for power, ground, signal, pressure, timing etc, and why..

1: engine cranks..battery is most likely good enough to start engine
2: fuel is getting to injectors, is fuel getting into cylinders?
3: are injectors getting signal, or enough pressure to open? most likely not, but you need to check.
If I remember right the 1070 has a direct injection engine, with no computer (I could be wrong). That would mean injectors are pressure operated by the injector pump timing. (if this is wrong, please correct me)
Luckily I never had to do more than minor service to my 770, I did replace the alternator bearings, but that's it.
I've worked on gas auto engines for the last 30 years, but I'm not a diesel tech, however there is some talent here, hopefully one will join in with the next logical step.....

MICHAELL, hope something simple has happened, but not familar with the 1070 enough to guess what.

HowStuffWorks "Diesel Fuel Injection"

/ john deere 1070 won,t start #5  
I have a 1070 so here goes:

Does the fuel shutoff solenoid click loudly when you turn the key? Is the seat switch stuck (you need weight on the seat and it must compress unless you pull the switch up to run it without an operator). Gears in neutral? PTO sensor closed. If it cranks, is it good rpm? Any smoke: white or black?

If you really think it ought to run, tow it behind a truck until it lights up. You need some real rpm so choose the right range and gear selector.

I'll look in my manual when I find it and see what else they recommed....

thanks for the reply's guy's my guess is that the fuel is not getting past the in jectors if any one understands how direct deisel injector works that would be helpful i also liked the idea of pulling the tractor in gear to get it rolling i would like to know how fast and how far what gear what gear range i have three

/ john deere 1070 won,t start #7  
The speed to pull it depends on what you have to pull it with. A simple downhill run could do it. A few guys here have taken my suggestion and it worked for them. I'd go with 2nd range, 1st gear for 'starters'. Something to pull 2000 rpm. This could take a few yards to 'pull it off', but if you know its a fuel supply issue, this will work. Be sure to check both filters and make sure the fuel shutoff valve at the tank filter is open. This ought to remind you of a cold weather start. She'll huff and puff for a few yards but then it will take off. Make sure you give yourself enough rope because when it starts running, you could run into your tow vehicle.

BTW: put it in 4wd to prevent rear wheel slip.

i tried letting it roll down hill i pulled it with a pickup truck it cranks but it won't
turn over i am getting ready to take the plate that holds the key switch and look behind there is there anything like a ground safety or some other type of safety with the good Ideas i have gotten so far I am supprised it has not started

/ john deere 1070 won,t start #9  
My guess is you have a problem with the fuel shut off solenoid. It is located on the right side of the engine and has a link connecting it to the injection pump. As a test, you can pull back on the link by hand while you crank the engine and it should start. If that works, then you either have a bad solenoid, control module, or a loose or broken wire somewhere in that circuit. I have attached a picture of the solenoid. Just pull back on item #9 while you crank it. I am betting it will start.

Attachments

• 1070 fuel solenoid.gif
    1070 fuel solenoid.gif
    19.3 KB · Views: 2,864
thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately it still wont start the solanoid pulls in fine every idea seem to point in the right direction but i still connot get the thing to crank over is it possible that the injectors got clogged and is there any way to know if the fuel is getting past the in jectors