Paint and no primer?

/ Paint and no primer? #1  

dieselram

Gold Member
Tractor
2007 John Deere 3120 TLBM
I painted my 2 loader buckets recently- sandblasted, primed and 2 coats of oil based enamel. It seems as the paint does not want to stick to the primer real well. It will peel off and the primer stays longer, and it is correct primer. What would happen if I just blasted and painted it? The blaster we have at work comes out of a 4" hose at extreme pressure and actually turns the metal red if held in one spot too long. Very serious equipment!

/ Paint and no primer? #2  
There are direct to metal, (DTM), paints you could use, if you wanted to go that route. That is how they paint most equipment today.

I can tell you how to do it best with automotive paint, if you want to spend a fortune, and can spray.

/ Paint and no primer? #3  
dieselram; I can attest to ray66v's knowledge, I followed his advice essentially to the letter when putting my window in and that install is tight!

Thanks again ray66v!

/ Paint and no primer? #4  
Automotive paint like sikkens is expensive. I painted my 455 with it but that tractor shined with a quick power wash. I have been using rustoleum primer / paint for attachments. It seems to work very well. Limited choice of colors though.

/ Paint and no primer? #5  
Automotive paint like sikkens is expensive. I painted my 455 with it but that tractor shined with a quick power wash. I have been using rustoleum primer / paint for attachments. It seems to work very well. Limited choice of colors though.

Sikkens is in the dictionary next to the word expensive. There are good products that cost less, but still no bargain.

Industrial enamel like, Rustoleum is perfect for these kind of jobs. Valspar makes a line, (sold at TSC), that has an optional hardener. The hardener will improve gloss and adhesion.

If you want to go up one notch from that, use a 2 part, self etching automotive primer, and then industrial enamel. This combination is works very well.

Sherwin Williams commercial paint stores, have direct to metal paints, designed for jobs like metal buildings, that will work well. The really good DTM finishes used by industry are not usually sold on the retail level. Many require a bake oven to set. Searching the net will undoubtedly find some.

SW can also custom mix their industrial enamel in any color, if you have one of their commercial stores, in you area.

Your welcome, Nuru.

/ Paint and no primer? #6  
The John Deere paint is $17 a quart, and you can put synthetic enamel hardener in it. I wonder why you just don't use that? You can use it without priming if the metal is as clean as you say it is, although even after sand blasting you need to wipe it down with some sort of grease remover.

The Gloss on the JD paints is not like Dupont basecoat/clearcoat, but you are painting a loader, not a corvette!

Wayne

/ Paint and no primer? #7  
Hiya,

I'll put in my couple cents on this. I worked for a Dupont distributor for 8 years that specialized in industrial and automotive coatings. I would suggest that since your abrasive blasting the equipment and starting with a bare surface that you use a metal prep solution to oxidize the steel for primer adhesion. You can use a sealing primer such as Dupont sand n seal or Sem coat then apply a non catalyzed enamel top coat observing drying times of all layers. If possible, set the implement in a baking oven for 4 to 6 hours or for several days in hot sun, that should set the top coat and offer maximum adhesion.

I would strongly advise against using catalyzed enamel if you do not have a proper supplied air breathing system. The polyisocyanates in the catalyst will cause nerve damage. Read the MSDS sheets, they will scare the S out of you. I know people that have been effected by them for not taking the warnings seriously, it is not worth the risk.

Tom