John Deere 1070

/ John Deere 1070 #1  

dennisj73

Good Morning All!

I've been on the forum before, but haven't posted. I own a John Deere 1070 which I really enjoy and I am glad to see other 1070 owners out there.
Yesterday, brush hogging, I had a flat front tire. It was a slow leak and I was able to get it back to the house and I will call a local person that works on tractor tire tomorrow. It seemed to me to be a good idea to have an extra tire on a rim in case the leak was serious.

I have a couple of questions.

1) What is the best way to find a spare rim for the front. I thought that it would be good to have in the event of a serious leak on the front in the field.

2) Currently the tractor has turf tires. Would R4 be "tougher"?

3) Would it be worth considering having the back tires "filled".

I appreciate your experience and input.

DJ

/ John Deere 1070 #2  
Is the tire tubeless?

Is the tire worth the repairing?

Why not plug the tubeless tire leak yourself?
You ,likely, will not need to remove the tire/rim from the axle to plug the tire.
You'll need a tire plug kit,from any auto parts store, and compressed air to inflate the tire.
Dealing with flat tires is a part life regarding tractors. Good Luck

/ John Deere 1070
Is the tire tubeless?

Is the tire worth the repairing?

Why not plug the tubeless tire leak yourself?
You ,likely, will not need to remove the tire/rim from the axle to plug the tire.
You'll need a tire plug kit,from any auto parts store, and compressed air to inflate the tire.
Dealing with flat tires is a part life regarding tractors. Good Luck

Hi KevPH1

Thank you very much for the reply.

I'm not sure if it is tubeless. The tire was new as of last July/August. I will be calling the "tire guy" tomorrow. I understand flat tire are a part of life regarding tractors, that's why I thought having a spare could keep me going so that I could repair or get the tire repaired after hours. I appreciate the suggestion and those items could definitly be part of a "tractor toolbox"!

DJ

/ John Deere 1070 #4  
DJ - Welcome to TBN. Great place; good folk's. 1070 is a great tractor! If you're really serious about a spare tire/rim that will fit your 1070; I've seen a number of tire-rim combos on eBay. And Craigslist, too. Of course, one or another local dealer might just have an older tire-rim out in the back lot; so, it might not hurt to check with them as well.

Unless you (or the previous owner) installed tubes - your tires are tubeless (OEM from the factory). So, you could plug the tire if the hole requires it. If it's just a small hole a patch would likely suffice.

The turf tires on your tractor are 4-ply and most R4's that would fit your tractor are 8-ply rated - so, the R4's are significantly "tougher" than your current turf tires.

The benefit of having your rear tires "filled" depends greatly upon how you're using your 1070 and whether or not it's an actual necessity; i.e., ballast or counterweight for moving heavy loads with your loader, etc. There are extensive threads here on TBN regarding "filled tires" and "wheel weights", etc. A search will provide you with hours of "listening pleasure"!

Best of luck with your 1070.

AKfish

/ John Deere 1070
DJ - Welcome to TBN. Great place; good folk's. 1070 is a great tractor! If you're really serious about a spare tire/rim that will fit your 1070; I've seen a number of tire-rim combos on eBay. And Craigslist, too. Of course, one or another local dealer might just have an older tire-rim out in the back lot; so, it might not hurt to check with them as well.

Unless you (or the previous owner) installed tubes - your tires are tubeless (OEM from the factory). So, you could plug the tire if the hole requires it. If it's just a small hole a patch would likely suffice.

The turf tires on your tractor are 4-ply and most R4's that would fit your tractor are 8-ply rated - so, the R4's are significantly "tougher" than your current turf tires.

The benefit of having your rear tires "filled" depends greatly upon how you're using your 1070 and whether or not it's an actual necessity; i.e., ballast or counterweight for moving heavy loads with your loader, etc. There are extensive threads here on TBN regarding "filled tires" and "wheel weights", etc. A search will provide you with hours of "listening pleasure"!

Best of luck with your 1070.

AKfish

Good Morning AKfish

Thank you for the Welcome! I have to admit that I really like my 1070. I bought the tractor in July of 2007 and had to replace one of the front tires, so I replaced both of them a short time after I bought the tractor. I don't recall if he put tubes in or not. They were worn pretty well so it seems that it might have done a lot of loader work. Back tires are pretty good. I will look on ebay/craigslist for the combo. I just wanted a tire and rim for a quick change, if it should happend again.

Thanks for the info on R4's. I'm pulled between getting R4's or just being a bit more careful and making do with what I have on there already. Also there's the traction/getting stuck factor. Turf tread seems to fill up quickly.

I've already looked a a thread or two regarding filling the back tires. The tractor just seems to spin out a bit quicker than I think that it should...it could just be me. If there is a better way to go I would consider it.

Thank you for your response!

DJ

/ John Deere 1070 #6  
DJ - I had turfs on my JD970. So, I remember well how quickly they "slicked" up in the slightest mud; and how easy it was to get stuck, too!

I finally bought a set R1's tires/rims (front and rear) from JD. It was an expensive move but it was worth it to me as it made all the work I was doing in the woods around my place that much easier.

And the front turfs were pretty soft and would peel off the rim whenever I had a heavy load on the FEL and made short, sharp turns. So, all in all; it was a better machine for my uses after the tire/rim switch.

AKfish

/ John Deere 1070
DJ - I had turfs on my JD970. So, I remember well how quickly they "slicked" up in the slightest mud; and how easy it was to get stuck, too!

I finally bought a set R1's tires/rims (front and rear) from JD. It was an expensive move but it was worth it to me as it made all the work I was doing in the woods around my place that much easier.

And the front turfs were pretty soft and would peel off the rim whenever I had a heavy load on the FEL and made short, sharp turns. So, all in all; it was a better machine for my uses after the tire/rim switch.

AKfish

I see making the change down the road. It's a bit pricey right now because of having to get both rims and tires. For brush hogging/field, which is about 80% of what the tractor will do, for the most part the turf tread are fine. It's when I take it into the woods that I would prefer a more aggressive tread and a more puncture resistant tire, than a turf. I'll just have to be a bit more careful of where I'm driving.

DJ