430 Loader Lift problem

/ 430 Loader Lift problem #1  

jdmar

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 5425 & 4300, Yanmar 1500
I have a 430 loader that now doesn't load! For the last week or so the lift cylinders will not lift or push down (as when using loader to stabilize backhoe). Problem is this has been intermittent. Often it is a problem when first starting the tractor--then if I cycle the SCV many times it will lift totally normally. By normal I mean a full load to any height with nearly no drift down...like nothing was ever wrong! I previously rebuilt my curl cylinders but they drifted all the time...these don't act like that.

When the lift cylinders are not working, I CAN lift the loader only if empty and with the engine speed revved up high (2000 + RPM). It lifts very slowy, but does seem to hold it's position..that is it does not drift down even when it took high RPMs to get it lifted up. If I push the SCV forward it does come down very quickly.

Also, if I push the engine RPMs up and try to lift the loader arms AND curl or dump at the same time the arms will not lift (or will drift down if already up) but the bucket curls fine. I also have a 47 backhoe on that has zero problems.

Sorry for all the details but I know there are lot of people a LOT smarter than me and they may need details to help. By the way, I did order lift cylinder rebuild kits since they are a lot cheaper than fixing the SCV. I will pick up the repair kits Monday, but something tells me that is not the whole fix. I don't see why the system either works fine...or not at all, and can switched back and forth.

Maybe I will try switching the SCV lines to see if the lift then works and the curl doesn't...that would help tell me if the problem was in the SCV or the cyclinders...am I right in this thinking? Thanks ofr any help or ideas. I hate taking this to the dealer if I can avoid it...I hear the SCV repair is very expensive.

Peter

/ 430 Loader Lift problem #2  
Maybe I will try switching the SCV lines to see if the lift then works and the curl doesn't...that would help tell me if the problem was in the SCV or the cyclinders
That would be my next step, and yes your correct, it will show you weather its your cylinder, valve and/or connections. Or at least help you pin point the fault.

/ 430 Loader Lift problem
Thanks for the Help!!! I did the switch and you are right the curls still work and the lift cylinders still don't...I think that is good news (at least not the SCV). Also a funny thing happened. I just disconnected one hydraulic line (black in my case) and it lifted fine! I am thinking the line I disconnected was a return line from the hydraulic cycinders and with this line blocked (disconnected) the cylinders couldn't "leak." I still don't know why they have been doing this off on on but at least I think If I repair both cyliinders I should be back in business. Any other ideas are certainly appreciated! Thanks again.
Peter

/ 430 Loader Lift problem
Well, first I rebuilt the cylinder that had made a little noise a few times. Put it back together and no change. The seals had all looked good but at high psi you never know. I guess it made some noise 'cuz it was the only one working!

Then I pulled apart the second cylinder...seals looked good but were on differrent. The piston seals were next to each other rather than a rubber o-ring below/under a nylon type seal. Somehow the seals were not torn or cut but were sort of turned on there side! That explains why sometimes the loader worked and other times it didn't. I think they could occasionally get a good seal but other times not. Anyhow, it went back together and works fine. To tell the truth it seems to cycle quicker than before...I wonder if those seals had been turned sideways for a long time (like since the factory!). But good news it is back together, working, and only for the cost of rebuild kits....whew!

Peter

/ 430 Loader Lift problem #5  
Well, first I rebuilt the cylinder that had made a little noise a few times. Put it back together and no change. The seals had all looked good but at high psi you never know. I guess it made some noise 'cuz it was the only one working!

Then I pulled apart the second cylinder...seals looked good but were on differrent. The piston seals were next to each other rather than a rubber o-ring below/under a nylon type seal. Somehow the seals were not torn or cut but were sort of turned on there side! That explains why sometimes the loader worked and other times it didn't. I think they could occasionally get a good seal but other times not. Anyhow, it went back together and works fine. To tell the truth it seems to cycle quicker than before...I wonder if those seals had been turned sideways for a long time (like since the factory!). But good news it is back together, working, and only for the cost of rebuild kits....whew!

Peter

If you look your loader up on JDParts, you will see there have been several changes in the seal design, they have it broken up by serial numbers...Maybe you have the older style seals?