Help with bucket hooks on Deere HD Bucket

/ Help with bucket hooks on Deere HD Bucket #1  

nmu98

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5203, JD 3720, JD 4110, JD 445, IH 1586, IH 886, IH 404......
I did a search and read for 45 minutes but I have yet to see the specific size of hook that fits on the John Deere 73" HD bucket.

I could not find any localy yet, and plan to order from either one of these places.

Weld-On Grab Hooks - Grade 40 - 5/16" - Mfg# B2408W

Weld-On Grab Hook :: Weld-On Grab Hooks :: Grade 80 Hooks :: Hooks :: Towing Equipment :: Tow Parts Now

I like the second one better since they are grade 80. I would like to use the 3/8 but they do not give you any measurments of the hooks. I figure I have 4"s if space to weld on the top of the bucket.

Anyone know the size of the 3/8's hook, or have pics of what they did with what size hook.

I like the 3/8s since I can use it with the chain I have, or put a strap in it.

/ Help with bucket hooks on Deere HD Bucket #2  
I've got the 5/16 weld style on my bucket and 3/8 chain will still fit the slot.

/ Help with bucket hooks on Deere HD Bucket #3  
I did a search and read for 45 minutes but I have yet to see the specific size of hook that fits on the John Deere 73" HD bucket.

I could not find any localy yet, and plan to order from either one of these places.

Weld-On Grab Hooks - Grade 40 - 5/16" - Mfg# B2408W

Weld-On Grab Hook :: Weld-On Grab Hooks :: Grade 80 Hooks :: Hooks :: Towing Equipment :: Tow Parts Now

I like the second one better since they are grade 80. I would like to use the 3/8 but they do not give you any measurments of the hooks. I figure I have 4"s if space to weld on the top of the bucket.

Anyone know the size of the 3/8's hook, or have pics of what they did with what size hook.

I like the 3/8s since I can use it with the chain I have, or put a strap in it.

On mine I just went to tractor supply. They aren't as nice as those. I might have to order some of those for my 4520.

D.

/ Help with bucket hooks on Deere HD Bucket #6  
I've use regular chain hooks (both slotted and others) and used my bench grinder to flatten down the back side. Welded them on and have yet to encounter any problems. BTW I've got the 73 bucket and like it alot.

/ Help with bucket hooks on Deere HD Bucket #7  

That's my thread! It's good to feel useful now and then. :eek:

I got my hooks at the local John Deere Dealer. He had a bunch of chain paraphernalia hanging on a big peg board in the shop. They were about $8 each.

Per many others' suggestions, I would make sure to weld the hooks to some 1/4" pads, and then weld the pads to the bucket top. It would be a bugger to distort the bucket where the hook attaches for lack of surface area to spread the load over.

Also, one other chap offered that you should grind the paint away from the entire area under the pad, not just the perimeter weld path. I don't recollect exactly why, but I followed his advise and it worked out fine.

/ Help with bucket hooks on Deere HD Bucket #8  
I subscribe to the "bigger is better" school on alot of equipment modifications. And went with a section of 3/8" plate on the top edge of the the FEL bucket for the chain hook (thanks to the Wombat post).

AKfish

/ Help with bucket hooks on Deere HD Bucket
I subscribe to the "bigger is better" school on alot of equipment modifications. And went with a section of 3/8" plate on the top edge of the the FEL bucket for the chain hook (thanks to the Wombat post).

AKfish

Pics?

/ Help with bucket hooks on Deere HD Bucket #10  
OK... I'm gonna screw up my courage and figure my kid's digital camera out! I'm always wrangling him to shoot a pic or two and then posting for me.

I'll get some pics in the morning.

AKfish