Tractor
    JD 855 4WD, HST

Default Finding Tractor Year

Hello,

I recently purchased a JD 855 with a FEL, and various other attachments. It is in great shape has only 375 hours, etc. I was wondering if anyone knows where I might be able to find out what year the tractor was manufactured based on the product identification number or something of that nature. It is not really that important but I am just curious. Thanks in advance for any help.

Veteran Member
    Cherry Valley, New York (near Cooperstown, NY)
    Tractor
    Kubota L4630, with cab and loader, 1951 Ferguson TO-20, 1986 Ford 5610 with loader

Default Re: Finding Tractor Year

Go on tractortips.com. You can determine the age by the serial number.

Tractor
    JD 855 4WD, HST

Thanks. I must have grabbed the wrong number because the one I have isn't listed. Thanks again.

Tractor
    Kubota L2800HST w/Frontloader & CC LTX1046

1986...360 001
    1987...420 001
    Hope that helps some.

Tractor
    JD 855 4WD, HST

Neither of those number formats are close to what I have. Also I'm sure my tractor is much newer than that. I would guess in mid to late 90's.

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Per Tractor Tips, the 855 was built from 1986-1998.

Just above the hinged PTO shaft cover plate (4"-8"), you should see a plate with stamped characters. That's were my Product ID number is (this is shown near the back of the operator's manual, by the way...where it discusses vandalism and theft).
    I expect your tractor ID number would be in the same location.

Take down that number and call your dealer. They should be able to tell you when your 855 was manufactured.
    I just looked at one of them last weekend (not to buy, I was looking at the anti-sway linkage). That's a nice tractor with one caveat: with a FEL, those fender mounted headlamps got to be about useless...

Tractor
    JD 855 4WD, HST

RoyJackson,

Thanks for the response. I had already located the PIN right where you mentioned and submitted that number at tractor tips to no avail. I figured that I would do exactly as you said and call a local dealer who whould be able to provide me with more information about my "new" toy.

So far it has been great. I noticed the headlamps and thought that they might be in a rather precarious position but I really don't think I 'll get much seat time in at night anyway.