building a trailer for "hay" rides - any ideas?

/ building a trailer for "hay" rides - any ideas? #1  

jcv

Hello all,

I am the very happy owner of a 2320 and my wife and I had the idea to build a trailer or wagon for towing the kids around the neighborhood on halloween... and maybe to pile some folks on for carolling at Christmas time.

So today I bought the frame from a pop-up tent trailer and it seems like it will be a great starting point for my wagon. The rectangular area of the trailer measures 6.5' wide x 7' long. I was thinking of decking it with pressure treated plywood then building 2 benches lengthwise so the folks sitting are facing each other.

I thought I'd ask here for some ideas on this project before I got going. I'm sure you folks will think of something that I haven't ;)

I would really like to hear your ideas on this and I'd especially like to see pics if someone has done a similar project.

Thanks in advance
Jay

/ building a trailer for "hay" rides - any ideas? #2  
I use an old hay wagon. If you plan to have a bunch of people on the wagon make sure you check the load limit of the tires so you don't blow one out on your ride.

/ building a trailer for "hay" rides - any ideas? #3  
I bought THIS kit from Horrible Freight about 2 years ago, and it's held up pretty well...

Attachments

• DSC03965.JPG
    DSC03965.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 3,849
   / building a trailer for "hay" rides - any ideas? #4  
I just pull my 16ft trailer behind my tractor. Ten sware bales work out perfectly for sitting all around the trailer so that everyone sits on the hay and faces inward. I've had over 30 people on it at a time, and it's now something that everyone looks forward to. We've even had friends of family who were here for a party go and get others for the hay ride, then bring them back home again after the ride!!!

My rides go around my land. I sort of wonder my trails back and forth until they are either too cold to stay out any longer or it's time to eat. Never has anybody said that they are bored and want to go back. What uusally happens is after awhile I'll shout back to them to see if they want to keep going or not. The answer is always the same.

Eddie

Attachments

• 20 Nov 07 018 (Small).jpg
    20 Nov 07 018 (Small).jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,864
  • Dec 2007 006 (Small).jpg
    Dec 2007 006 (Small).jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 2,144
  • Hay ride, 20 Nov 07.jpg
    Hay ride, 20 Nov 07.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 6,189
   / building a trailer for "hay" rides - any ideas? #5  
I too use my flat bed, but, I put my stake pockets to work and built some stake sides for it. They are tall enough that when the bales are inside and someone sits on them, they can't fall off backwards and get run over!! It's an open type stake side with large gaps between the boards so that it doesn't feel too closed in. No photos. Sorry...

/ building a trailer for "hay" rides - any ideas?
Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty commited to using my 6.5 x 7 trailer frame. It's in great shape with good rubber and since it was originally a tent camper, swhould be rated for around 2000 lbs.

I think I'll build a continuous bench seat that runs down one side of the trailer, across the front and back down the other side. It will have a back to lean against. This way I'll have maximum seating and there will be no way to fall of except in the middle back.

I'll probably build the bech frames from steel square tubing and both on some wood for the seats and backs.

I'll probably have a high pole at each corner of the trailer so I can string lights on it. Can anyone tell me how to run lights from a 12 volt battery?

For halloween, I'll leave the FEL on the tractor and put a scarecrow in there that looks like a corpse... this should be fun!

/ building a trailer for "hay" rides - any ideas? #7  
See my profile picture. No one can accidently fall out of this.

/ building a trailer for "hay" rides - any ideas? #8  
LOL!!! i don't think the question here is will they fall out, but rather, can they get IN !!
nice ride !

/ building a trailer for "hay" rides - any ideas? #9  
What???.....no seatbelts??? :eek:

/ building a trailer for "hay" rides - any ideas? #10  
2 or 3 years ago about an hour from here several people were killed on such a hay ride when a tractor trailer driver who was charged for I think DUI and speeding ran into them. The tractor driver and trailer owner also was charged for no lights and possibly something else. But of course the worst he faced was the loss of family members.

So be sure if you will be on any kind of placed where there is any other vehicle have trailer lights and paved roads...stay off of. We have had children parties at our house and used trailer with the square hay bales and just run around our fields. Suited all very well. Have done this on summer days and still enjoyed.