4110 wont start just rapid clicks

/ 4110 wont start just rapid clicks #11  
I did notice if I was not on the set the tractor still tried to turn over. Is that normal, I thought that killed every thing if you were not setting on it.
Roger

If you meant "seat", then no. Lawn tractors have a seat interlock but not farm tractors. Though it is usually not recommended to start it while standing beside it. People get run over doing that...

I am now having similar issues. See my post at:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-owning-operating/128990-3720-main-panel-died.html

I haven't tried pulling the battery out of the circuit while I jump the tractor though. If the dealer hasn't come up with anything by tomorrow evening, I'll give that a try.

/ 4110 wont start just rapid clicks #12  
Quote: Now I am sleeping in the garage with the tractor until the wife settles down.

Roger; Worse things have happened, believe me. I am in the process of tearing off my roof. Those great Certainteed shingles lasted a whole 11 years. Hope the rain stays away a bit and your tractor repair is simple. My 4110 has been trouble free, 3 years old but only 112 hours.

/ 4110 wont start just rapid clicks #13  
Have a 2006 JD 2305. Same issue about a month ago.Replaced battery all is fine.

I have a 4310 bought in 2005 - same deal. Battery died. The guys at Sears said the battery design was pretty antique. I replaced it with a much larger marine battery - they are supposed to handle be charged down (deep cycle) better than regular automotive batteries. I have spot lights I like to use on occasion, and the poor stock battery probably got charged down too much and too often.

I estimate that I have well over double the capacity now. If I run it down, I stick it on a charger. This winter I will keep it on a tender for quicker winter starts.

Also - when's the last time you changed the oil? Last time you ran the tractor? If the engine friction is up - that will require a stronger kick to get it going too.

Have the battery tested at an auto-parts store for free. Chances are good you may need to buy a new one. I love JD's tractors, but their batteries? Not so much.

/ 4110 wont start just rapid clicks #14  
The JD4100 my neighbor has does have a seat switch. If you get off it when it's running it will shut off!
David from jax

/ 4110 wont start just rapid clicks #15  
Before you go and buy any new parts, definitely do what Skipholiday suggested - short the big terminal on the solenoid to the little terminal. Be prepared for a big spark but its a good way to see if the problem is in the starter assembly or the switch/wiring. If the starter works properly when you do that, your problem is not in the starter assembly, it's most likely the starter (ignition) switch. This is such a common problem that Deere even sells a relay kit to fix it for some models.

/ 4110 wont start just rapid clicks #16  
If you do pinpoint the problem to the starter then look in the yeller pages for a starter/alternator repair shop and get their input. A couple of times I've found that they can repair a unit for 1/2 the price of the dealer rebuild....

/ 4110 wont start just rapid clicks #17  
So,,, what was the fix. You guys can't leave me hanging after reading 2 pages of ideas.

I just got in from running my 4710 all day. It started no problem all day. I pulled in the barn. Shut it off to fuel it up. Went to start it up, and click click click click. The dash lights go dim when you hit the key. Tried a jump start. Same thing.

Went in the house tired and cold. Need to get this fixed quick, got work to do.

/ 4110 wont start just rapid clicks #18  
Can you take some voltage readings with a volt meter ?

Check and recheck battery connections at both ends.

/ 4110 wont start just rapid clicks #19  
Pulled the Battery and the starter earl this morning. No time to tinker with it. Put the starter in a vise, hooked up a + jumper from the truck to the terminal and hooked the - cable to the vise. hooked another jumper from the + to where the ignition wire connected. Starter fired and the bendix worked too.

Then I took the battery down to the local battery warehouse. They load tested it, and it was shorted out. Bought a new one and we are back in business.

It was funny how the battery worked find all day and never gave any indication it was weak. The last turn of the key shorted it right out. Don't think I ever saw one go like that. Guess thats why trying to jump start it didn't work either.

Case solved.

/ 4110 wont start just rapid clicks #20  
So, Joe1shoe, are you the 4110 guy? I'm confused.

Battery in our Tacoma gave out on my wife last week. It was nearly 8 years old. It started fine in the cold morning but gave out at one of her parking lot stops.

Ralph