4110 wont start just rapid clicks

/ 4110 wont start just rapid clicks #1  

roermo

Gold Member
Tractor
4110 JD
Hi all have a question about my JD 4110, 320 hours:

When I try to start my tractor I get a fast clicking sound. I used jumper cables to hook to the battery same sound. Last night I put it on a charger for 10 hours. This morning tried to start it no go. I put cables back on got the clicking sound. Took the battery out and hooked the jumper straight to the leads same sound. I took the jumper + to the starter and the to the fame same sound. I called the dealer they said take the starter out and bring it in. I asked how much it would cost for a new starter I about feel over $650. The owner of the dealership said he has never had a bad starter with that few hours. He thought it would be a switch, bad cable, etc. Or maybe the sylenoid (spelling)

Does any one have an idea or how to trouble shoot it better?

Also when I had the starter lose and all wires unhooked I could not get it out because of what looked like a hydraulic line and pump in the way.

Any help out there? I am green (no pun intended) when it comes to motors elec. And the likes.

Thanks

Roger

/ 4110 wont start just rapid clicks #2  
Cross up the two large wires on the solenoid and see if it engages.
(make sure it's in neutral)

/ 4110 wont start just rapid clicks #3  
I have never bought anything from ebay...but it looks like you can get one there for $69.95....not sure, but it may be an exchange deal. Looking at the picture of the starter, it appears that the solenoid is direct mounted to the starter. So when you hooked your jumper direct to to it, you may have still been dealing with a bad solenoid.....maybe that is all you need to replace.

eBay Motors: NEW JOHN DEERE TRACTOR STARTER 4100 4110 YANMAR DIESEL (item 230289580734 end time Sep-15-08 20:46:34 PDT)

/ 4110 wont start just rapid clicks #4  
Roermo, I had a similar problem with my 3720. I tried jumpers to my truck battery and it tried to start and went back to clicking and flashing of the instrument panel lights. It was finally resolved with a new battery. Before you take the starter out, try disconnecting completely the tractor battery and attaching the leads to jumpers to your truck or car battery.

Dave

/ 4110 wont start just rapid clicks #6  
sounds to me like you need to just simply stick the battery on a charger, i have had the same problem with the tractors just clicking and whenever i would stick them on the charger for a little bit they were good as new

/ 4110 wont start just rapid clicks #7  
1 Is the battery charged? Is the water level OK? (yes=than go to 2) (no=charge battery,
charging problem)

2 Are all battery/wire connections clean, tight and making connection?(including the ground)
(yes=Go to 3) (No=clean, tighten or replace wire/cable)

3 Apply 12 volt jumper cables from know "good" battery to the(RED)Starter + cable connection lug and (BLACK) or - to good ground at starter. BE CAREFUL! Try to start engine.

If engine now will start, your problem can still be a bad/ uncharged battery or the (+)RED or (-)BLACK cable is not making good connection.

4 Remove the battery and load test. Most Auto parts stores will test your battery for free.
replace if battery will not pass load test. If battery passes the load test recheck all
cables and connection from the battery to the starter! If battery is OK go to 5

5 Remove Alternator, take to your parts store for bench testing.

Note: voltage regulators sometime go bad and allow the over charging of the battery. The over charging boil the water from the battery. Good luck!

/ 4110 wont start just rapid clicks #8  
Have a 2006 JD 2305. Same issue about a month ago.Replaced battery all is fine.

/ 4110 wont start just rapid clicks
Thanks folks for the help.

I have tried the charging, did not help. I hooked the tractor leads to the jumper cables then to the truck battery, no good. I went from the truck to the starter with the red cable then to metal on the tractor with the black, no good.

I am going to have to try the load test then call the dealer, I guess.

I did notice if I was not on the set the tractor still tried to turn over. Is that normal, I thought that killed every thing if you were not setting on it.

And to top it all off I am roofing my house and got caught in the rain and it came so hard so fast got a lot of water in the house in one room where the roof was tore off. Now I am sleeping in the garage with the tractor until the wife settles down.

Thanks again
Roger

/ 4110 wont start just rapid clicks #10  
Quote: Now I am sleeping in the garage with the tractor until the wife settles down.

She does realize the chances she takes when you realize the tractor doesn't snore correct?