Proper use of Bush Hog and PTO shaft question

/ Proper use of Bush Hog and PTO shaft question #1  

acs55812

Silver Member
Tractor
4100/410
I have located a use for a 5' bush hog purchased at auction a year ago,,,,,,,,which leads to two questions. Its a very old 5' bush hog three point hookup----possible too big for my 4100---but I won't know til I try it.

PTO shaft, while hauling home I lost half the pto shaft---yes stupid on my part but it happened. I lost the part that attaches to the tractor---are "most" these the same size at the tractor? Mine is "about" a 1 inch square shaft of which I still have the female half of the shaft---so I am thinking of borrowing 1/2 a shaft from a neighbor and wondering how standard this is,,,,would like to borrow to make sure I can use the cutter with my tractor before I purchase one (after all the cutter only cost me $100.00 so I hate to spend a 100 on a shaft and find I can't use it after all)

Second question:

Proper hookup---in reading some old posts, should this be run without the top link attached? This a very heavy unit for my machine, and saw reference to using these without the top link attached---is this the proper way while cutting so the weight of the unit isn't bouncing on the back of the tractor?

Thanks
Dan

/ Proper use of Bush Hog and PTO shaft question #2  
Depending upon the make the shaft may be unique. My Woods has a special size shaft that will not match-up to anything else.

As for the top center link, I'd try it with it first, as if you lift too high without the TCL, you chance the shaft hitting the deck of the mower and bending it.

/ Proper use of Bush Hog and PTO shaft question #3  
I'd shy away from mixing shafts for now, won't he let you borrow the whole thing ?

/ Proper use of Bush Hog and PTO shaft question #4  
I'd shy away from mixing shafts for now, won't he let you borrow the whole thing ?

Yea, this is what I'd do (borrow whole shaft), but be careful that shaft is not too long/snug because damage can occur to your tractor when lifting or when going through dips in terra-firma.