3720 main panel died

/ 3720 main panel died #1  

slaveToHorses

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 2355, JD 3720, JD LX280
My 3720 has been down for a week now, with a fried main panel.

I went to start it and nothing happened. Thought it was a dead battery but a healthy jump just created a flashing panel and a starter starting/stopping in time with the flashing panel.

I called the dealer. About 4 days later (and a couple of calls) they made it out and declared that it had a bad main board/panel. Apparently Deere will not replace these without a technical report. Still waiting to hear back.

I really like this tractor and my manure pile is anxiously awaiting it's return! It is the only one I have that has a loader...

I was wondering how often this happens and how much they are and how hard they are to replace!

Any others on the list, experience this joy?

/ 3720 main panel died #2  
Sorry to hear about your main panel letting go. I do hope you get your 3720 back soon. I sincerely hope, I never get too expeirience your joy! ;)

/ 3720 main panel died #3  
slaveToHorses, I had the same problem on my 3720 a month ago. I tried jumping from my truck. It would try to start and then went back to a flashing panel. I had it picked up by my dealer. It turned out to be a bad battery. I guess one of the cells developed a dead short. Try a new battery before you go to the expense of replacing an electrical panel

Dave

/ 3720 main panel died
Thanks Dave,
I just read your post over on the 4110 thread. I am going to try pulling the battery from the circuit and jumping to my spare. The computer said my battery charged fine. But it doesn't do an actual load test. I think I have a load tester here somewhere... I'll at least tell the service dept in the morning.
Fortunately the tractor is still under factory service, however if it is just the battery I will probably get a prorated credit.
STH

/ 3720 main panel died
Well, never got a chance to try swapping batteries. Deere told the dealer it was a bad computer and to swap it out (like the whole panel!). The ambulance came by first thing this morning and hauled it off.

I called down to them to have them test a new battery in there because they also gave me the news that the warranty expired in April!! Wouldn't you know it. The dealer said they had some more tests to do before they went to a replacement. He also said he would go to bat with the factory to see if they would budge on the warranty timing.

Last edited:
   / 3720 main panel died
They delivered the tractor back to me yesterday.
The problem turned out to be a loose connector. There is a big connector on the back side of the dash panel. Apparently you have to lift out the panel to get to it. When he lifted the panel, the connector fell off. All is well now.
I haven't seen an invoice for the service yet. I am not sure if they are going to go back to Deere on this or what. Even though it just went out of warranty. They had to have not latched down that connector properly at the factory. Hope I don't have a fight on my hands...

/ 3720 main panel died #7  
They delivered the tractor back to me yesterday.
The problem turned out to be a loose connector. There is a big connector on the back side of the dash panel. Apparently you have to lift out the panel to get to it. When he lifted the panel, the connector fell off. All is well now.
I haven't seen an invoice for the service yet. I am not sure if they are going to go back to Deere on this or what. Even though it just went out of warranty. They had to have not latched down that connector properly at the factory. Hope I don't have a fight on my hands...

That is good news. The bill will be cheaper than replacing that panel!

/ 3720 main panel died #8  
Yup.. that's good news!

I'd much rather have a discussion about payment for the loose connector than an arm-rasslin' over the total panel replacement!!

And now you can get back to that manure pile :) before you can't see over the top of it.. (don't ask me how I know about that).

AKfish

/ 3720 main panel died #9  
Good for you. Well so the big connector can come loose, thanks for the tip from experience.

/ 3720 main panel died
And now you can get back to that manure pile :) before you can't see over the top of it.. (don't ask me how I know about that).
AKfish

Oh yeah baby! The flys are getting serious too. My wife will be happy to see that pile gone.

Yes sir, either way I am really happy it was just the connector. And I still really like the tractor. The green house just seemed wrong, with it standing guard at the back doors :)