3X20 Top & Tilt

/ 3X20 Top & Tilt #1  

skidoo

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 2520, JD X749, JD110TLB
I would like to hear about those with a top and tilt on their 3x20.

How are the controls operated? What is your experience with being able to adjust while sitting on the seat, top, tilt, up, down on the TPH. Can you do so with three separate levers, or do you have to get off the seat and move some other lever?

Does the top and tilt hydraulics hold in the set position reliably? Or do you have to re-adjust often?

Do you like the option?

Any drawbacks to the option?

Anyone know if a top and tilt is available on a 2520? My dealer said its not available for it...

I'm considering upgrading to a 3720.

/ 3X20 Top & Tilt #2  
It is run off an electronic diverter, so you use the loader joystick.

I don't see a need for what I do to have the tilt, so I purchased the CCM top link and run it off my 3rd scv in the rear of the tractor. I could not live without that. It does have a check valve in it so it is rock solid, no movement.

/ 3X20 Top & Tilt #3  
I don't have one, but have researched a bit.

There are several ways to set it up, but I had two rear remotes mounted on the tractor for future T&T. One lever on each.

I've read that some do bleed down, but if you research, some have a "check valve" type that will prevent this.

With two controlers or a single and diverter you will never have to get off the tractor.

/ 3X20 Top & Tilt #4  
I've got TnT on my JD 110. As stated, you operate all the functions from the FEL joystick.

The OEM JD setup does not have internal checkvalves in the cylinders - so, whenever you shut the tractor off the cylinders will "drift" or let down and change position.

It's not that big of a deal - IMO. I have not found that the cylinders change position on their own when using the machine; therefore, I don't have to continuously readjust them.

I use the top function likely 85% of the time and the tilt only a small fraction of the time for the work I do with the tractor.

If you have a long driveway that needs to be "crowned" (tilt function) or maintaining and/or fashioning a drainage ditch, for example, the tilt would be an important consideration.

That said, if I had to do it all over again; I'd probably do what nmu98 has done --- get a rear mount 3rd SCV and the CCM top link.

Good luck.

AKfish

/ 3X20 Top & Tilt #5  
One added consideration -- if you have slopes or road shoulders to mow -- the tilt would give you added flexibility to use a rear mounted mower; finish, rotary, or flail in those situations and reduce the scalping and gouging that can occur with a flat mower on an angled surface.

It really depends upon what your purposes will be for your tractor...

I set my tractor up for a possible landscaping business; so, the investment was sensible from that perspective.

AKfish

/ 3X20 Top & Tilt #6  
Sorry, didn't speak to all of your questions.. My neighbor has a 2520 with top n tilt. He uses his FEL outlets for hydraulic flow to the rear cylinders. The local JD dealer up here installed his TnT setup. Of course, that means he can't use his FEL.

I haven't kept pace with the discussions regarding JD's newer hydraulic options for the 2520 (kennyd would likely know) but it appears that they offer a power-beyond circuit (back-hoe use) for that tractor and were planning to offer a kit for rear mounted SCV's as well.

Of course, the biggest drawback is COST! The TnT (cylinders, hoses, fittings) from JD is between $8-900 and the electric hydraulic diverter option from JD is $1,100-1,200.

So, a number of folk's here on TBN have searched around and developed lower cost options; i.e. Fasse valve, etc. and other sources of hydraulic cylinders, too.

AKfish

/ 3X20 Top & Tilt #7  
There is no "kit" available for the 2520, but it can be done:D

Check out THIS post from LincolnVT for the valve install, He also added cylinders for a TnT setup but I don't think he posted that project here on TBN.

I would estimate $1000 to $1200 to add TnT to your 2520.

/ 3X20 Top & Tilt #8  
I have a 3720 with TNT. I know it's a very expensive option and you should really think about whether you really need it or not. I personally find it a great option and due not regret it's purchase. Mine is also controlled with the FEL joystick after you activate the diverter switch and yes it does leak down after the tractor is shut off. It's really no big deal because I don't leave my 3pt attachment up in the air when I shut it down or leave the seat. It works great for the following things.

1. Hooking and unhooking attachments(you don't need level ground).
2. easy to remove the blades off a RMM mower deck(you can get the back of the mower very high.
3. Great for when you need that extra bit of clearance while mowing. I've got rows of small pine trees that I mow around, in tight quarters it's great to be able to raise the brush hog high enough to clear the trees.
4. I've created a dirt bike track for my kids. When I use my back or box blade it works great for making banked turns. The Kids love em. Also while using the back or box bade the angle of these attachments really affects there aggressiveness. Without the top function the box blade would harder to use because you can't adjust the angle on the fly so to speak.
5. As was stated earlier in a previous post, while mowing road sides you can adjust the tilt of the deck to match the ditch.

I can't honestly say I've ran into ant negatives to TNT other than the price you pay upfront.

/ 3X20 Top & Tilt
Great! Sounds simple enough.

I get tired of manually adjusting the top and tilt. I do have a long gravel drive to maintain, and my ground is usually not level, so changing attachments is not as easy as it should be. I look forward to a TNT system...

/ 3X20 Top & Tilt #10  
I have a Gearmore T&T on my 3320. It plugs into the Power Beyond circuit that I got for the backhoe and the controller valves are handy on the right via an arm that is fastened to the ROPS. I do a lot of grading and the T&T is indispensable with my boxblade and rake. I don't know how fast the leakdown is because I can't think of a situation where I didn't have to make frequent small adjustments to accommodate changing terrain. I can't think of any drawbacks and I don't know how I ever did without it.

Steve