Question for 100 Series lawn tractor owners?

/ Question for 100 Series lawn tractor owners? #1  

Revelation

Tractor
John Deere LA 165
How long were you able to keep your tractor before you had to replace it? I have been told once again by a JD service center that in 5 years I will have to replace my tractor....that it won't last.....that the quality is not as good as the 300 series.

I have seen several Craftsman lawn tractors last 10 years. I am thinking if I change the oil when it's due, and have it service when needed...if I make sure the lawn tractor makes a dead stop before I go backwards why shouldn't it last at least 10 years. I know, I know the frame is not as strong, the tires are 2 ply not 4 ply. But that will not mean the tractor will need to be replaced. The salesman then says it's the transmission. Once that goes, it won't be worth repairing? Is this really true?

I know the 300 Series is built a lot better, but if all I do it mulch grass and not use it for any other work, there is less strain on the engine. The dual engine should also have less stress than the single stroke. I am wondering if I did make a mistake in getting the 100 Series. Bear in mind I have had not one problem with my tractor and it cuts very even. I really love the way it looks and rides as well.

/ Question for 100 Series lawn tractor owners? #2  
I would say it should last 10 years or so,My old MTD Yardman is 15 years old and still running strong!
I have always run synthetic oil in the engine and replace it once a year,It has always been stored inside.
This machine has never seen a manicured lawn, only weeds and snow removal.
I also just bought a john deere x324 and I don't think its as tough as this old yardman, The transmission does seem weak. It wont back into my cargo trailer unless I run it at full throttle:rolleyes: I will however care for this machine like I did the other and we shall see how it fairs.
Good luck! I don't think you made a mistake, and you will have John Deere's support for troubles in the future should they arise.;)

/ Question for 100 Series lawn tractor owners? #3  
We have pretty close to 200 hrs on our L120 and it is still going strong. Until we got our bigger JD the L120 acted as dirt hauler, snow plower, and lawn mower. I would also throw in a little brush hogging to the extent that we have broken blades on rocks.
I do change the oil regularly every 50 hours and I check the air filter about once a week, then change it when it is dirty. I don't know how long it will last now that it is just a lawnmower but it sure works well for now.

/ Question for 100 Series lawn tractor owners? #4  
this talk was the reason that i went with the x320...love it so far...ym buddy has the 195 (i think) we have hauled trailer loads of dirt with it and the trailer broke in half before the tractor did...also he "bush hogs" his woods with it and still it keeps going...i dont think you will have any trouble

/ Question for 100 Series lawn tractor owners? #5  
First, I perform full (pm) service and ,as needed painting, each March.

The STX38 is now 11 yrs.old.
My 4115 is a tender 4 yrs.
The GX75 is 12 yrs.

I don't experience in season (out of service) break downs, other than an battery now and then.

I would say 15 to 20 yrs. would be the time frame I would use to scale for replacement.
I would be embarrassed if my equipment lasted only 5 yrs.
:()!!!

/ Question for 100 Series lawn tractor owners? #6  
When I went shopping for a lawn tractor, my finances had me looking in the $1,500 market. There were two company's that I was looking at....Craftsman and John Deere. I knew that the higher end Craftsman appeared to be very promising as I know they are very popular for the homes with .5 acres and less. I also knew the 100 Series JD were not at the same level as their 300 series.

But after comparing the two closely, and looking at Consumer Report, it appeared that the Craftsman was equal to the JD in some areas but JD was better in others. Craftsman was never above JD in any catagory though. Like you Revelation, I choose the twin valve engine in the 100 Series. It is claimed to have lower vibrations and is suppose to cause less strain on the engine. The 100 Series has only been out for about 2 years so you won't find someone with a 100 Series from 7 years ago saying his JD is still going strong.

I would say based on my observations, the JD should last at least as long as the higher end Craftsman. You and I will be the test cases on the quality of these tractors. Providing as you said will don't strain the engine making it a snow plow, and just sticking to cutting grass. I am optomisitc about the quality of the 100 Series. If I get 10 years out of it, I will be happy. Based on how my tractor life last, will determine if I get another 100 Series tractor or if I jump to the 300 Series.

/ Question for 100 Series lawn tractor owners? #7  
I had a L-130 for two years put a little over 200 HRS. on it. I used it to mow about 1 acre of flat land. Never had any problems at all with it. It had a good cut and was very comfortable to drive. The reason I sold it is that I had to upgrade to a larger mower to handle 2.5-4 acres. It was a good machine and held its value when I sold it.