A couple 447 BH questions from beginner.

/ A couple 447 BH questions from beginner. #1  

Eric102

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320 John Deere X739
Hi, after several years of shopping (and lurking on these forums) I recently purchased a lightly used 08 3320 with a 447 BH. I'm new to both tractors and implements so I may be asking some really dumb questions here.

1. On the 447 backhoe is it normal for the stabilizers to slowly fall to the horizontal position after a number of days of inactivity?

2. When retracting the boom is it normal for it to snap back and crash against the stops with hardly any pressure being applied to the control stick as the boom nears the end of its travel? The other control motions seem to work much more smoothly and predictably.

Thanks for any insights, Eric

/ A couple 447 BH questions from beginner. #2  
Welcome to TBN:D

1. On the 447 backhoe is it normal for the stabilizers to slowly fall to the horizontal position after a number of days of inactivity?

Yes, perfectly normal, you can put a strap between the two legs to prevent this.

2. When retracting the boom is it normal for it to snap back and crash against the stops with hardly any pressure being applied to the control stick as the boom nears the end of its travel? The other control motions seem to work much more smoothly and predictably.

Yes, It's kind of the geometry of backhoes. It will get better the more you parctice:D

/ A couple 447 BH questions from beginner. #3  
Hi Eric:

I have an '06 3320 with a 447, and as Kenny said-- Yes and Yes. Digs like a champ.

Steve

/ A couple 447 BH questions from beginner. #4  
Yes, stabilizers partially leak down over a few days.

I've never been in a rush when using the BH so unless I need the extra power for something specific, I usually run about 1400 - 1500 RPM's for BH work. At that speed it is possible to very gently feather the control to raise the boom slowly that last 1 inch or so. Same with the stabilizers - they pop up pretty fast unless control is feathered.

/ A couple 447 BH questions from beginner. #5  
As other's have voiced - yes and yes again. I, too, keep the rpm's below 2,000 (I like 1,700-1,750) to better manage the occasional "snaps and jerks" and keep them to a minimum.

Also, keep an eye out for the left and right turn motions of the boom arm. It'll swing so fast (and all it takes is that 6" snap.. don't ask..) to cause you to have a real case of "pucker factor"!!

Welcome to TBN and best wishes with your 3320.

AKfish

/ A couple 447 BH questions from beginner.
Thanks for the replies everyone, glad to know the BH is "normal".

The stabilizers now have a strap on them so they won't come down in the tight confines of my garage (can't leave my baby out in the rain!).

I now have much more respect for smooth BH operators, its not easy keeping track of 8 different directions the hoe can move at any time. More practice!

Thanks for the RPM suggestions also, I had been running it at the PTO speed (2600?) as per the manual, that probably didn't help the jerkiness of the controls.

It's amazing how much work these little tractors can do, I'm always finding some reason to fire it up for things other than the usual digging and moving materials. The pallet forks are especially handy for lifting stuff that would normally result in a sore back, it's to bad I can't get it in the house to move furniture. :D

/ A couple 447 BH questions from beginner. #7  
I also started out running at lower RPMs to keep down the backhoe jerky factor. What makes the hoe move smoothly is using more than one hydraulic cylinder at the same time. Early on, what I did was to practice the basic movements, without digging, for 15 minutes on several days. If you think about it, digging involves making the bucket go in circles (pull back, to the side, extend, to the center again). I dug a hole so I could practice, without actually digging, the up and down, and curl-uncurl motions along with the circles. I soon got to where it was automatic to be making several movements at once and I now run at 2500 RPMs. I have completed about 1000 ft of water line ditch and four terraced hillside gardens for myself and my neighbors. Only 3600 ft to go to finish my water line.

Steve

/ A couple 447 BH questions from beginner. #8  
Minor addition to what has already been said.
Don't you find it a bit disturbing the way the hoses are routed around the base end of the boom ? I did, but I'm getting used to it.
Also, the control sticks/levers look as if there should be rubber gaiters around them, but I have never seen one with them.

It is OEM'd by Amerequip, so if/when you need parts you might not need them in green.
If you INSIST on parts in green bags you might still be able to get them at a Montana dealer's parts counter.
Other than that Branson dealers, but those same parts will then come in a red bag.

There are probably others.
Anyone want to swap their 12 inch bucket for a totally unused 18 inch one ?

/ A couple 447 BH questions from beginner. #9  
Reg:

The the two bucket curl hoses go up through the middle of the boom. On mine the clamp where they emerge from the top of the boom was incorrectly tightened, and this allowed the hoses to slide up and down. This caused the protective fiber coverings to ride up and the hoses to wear through where they contacted the boom. The hoses were replaced on warranty. Keep an eye out.

Steve

/ A couple 447 BH questions from beginner. #10  
You know that you are getting spoiled when you help your wife to dig the potatoes--and you use your hoe