Oil & Fuel 50 hour oil change on the 2520

/ 50 hour oil change on the 2520 #1  

BlackRaptor

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320
Well it's that time.
Time to change the oil on the 2520.
I was planning on just getting the oil and filter from JD but I figured if NAPA or some place sold them cheaper it would be worth saving the money.
Do any of you guys get your oil and filters somewhere other then JD and if so where?

/ 50 hour oil change on the 2520 #2  
I got my hydro oil and all filters from JD, but got the Shell Rotella 5w-30 diesel oil from Wal Mart because the dealer (I checked three of them) didn't carry the viscosity called for in the manual.

/ 50 hour oil change on the 2520
I didn't even think of that. I had a brain fart. I bet the Shell rotella t I use in my Duramax is the same stuff that engine would like. I'll have to get my manual.
it doesn't call for it but do you guy change out the hydro oil at 50 hours? i was thinking it said 200 in the manual somewhere.

/ 50 hour oil change on the 2520 #4  
I didn't even think of that. I had a brain fart. I bet the Shell rotella t I use in my Duramax is the same stuff that engine would like. I'll have to get my manual.
it doesn't call for it but do you guy change out the hydro oil at 50 hours? i was thinking it said 200 in the manual somewhere.

ROFL, it depends where you look & Who you ask....Different Manuals, Different Underhood Stickers, and Different Dealers will all tell you something different.
Me...I changed the oil @ 50 hours with a JD Filter and the JD Break In Oil as Per the dealer (very knowledgable people) and Deere site suggested. Next oil change I plan on switching to the Deere 0w40 Synthetic.

/ 50 hour oil change on the 2520 #5  
My manual definitely did say to change engine and hydro oils after the first 50 hours. After that, I think it's 200 hours or yearly for engine oil and 200 hours (but NOT yearly) for hydro.

I checked the spec. listed in the manual and the Rotella did meet one of the acceptable specs.

"Different Manuals, Different Underhood Stickers, and Different Dealers will all tell you something different."

Yeah, they all say something different, but I can't find any printed literature that says to use 15w-40 even though that's what all the dealers say to use. You would think that JD corporate would get all over them for advising people to use something other than what is "officially" recommended in the manual.

/ 50 hour oil change on the 2520 #6  
I get all my filters and hydraulic oil from the local JD dealer. Use Mobil 1 in my 4010. It's now on 0w30. Was using 5w30.

I'd be very surprised if you could get the filters from an auto supply store. Might at TSC.

My JD dealer is closest of anything; so it's convenient, too.

Ralph

/ 50 hour oil change on the 2520 #7  
I get all of my filters at NAPA. Yes they have mower and tractor filters.

/ 50 hour oil change on the 2520 #8  
For my 2320 I had to get the hydraulic/transmission filter from JD (it was a Donaldson). I was unable to get a cross reference for that filter even with the number.. BEWARE - have them look the filter up for you in their system.. The filter number in my owners manual (and even the cross referenced/updated part number) was not the right filter..

I assume you are also going to change the hyrdraulic/transmission oil as well.. dont do as I do and make a big mess - After refilling most of the hydraulic oil, run the engine at a high RPM and turn on the rear PTO.. I was running the engine but the fluid never showed in the sight glass until it ran at high rpm and pto on. Needless to say I overfilled it and had to drain fluid out to get it back down..

I got a coupon from JD for free oil (15w40) and filter for my first change, so that is the route i took.. My next oil change will probably we with Rotella and a fleetguard filter (that is what I use on my dodge cummins and I need to get more for it)

good luck

brian

/ 50 hour oil change on the 2520 #9  
I did the 50 hour service on my 2305 a month or so ago. As it has the same engine as the 2520, I assume the service requirements are about the same. I used a Wix 51365 oil filter (available as Napa Gold with a slightly different number) and Shell Rotella T 10W-30. Although the manual didn't call for a change yet, I replaced the front axle oil with Shell Spirax HD 80W-90 gear oil. Not sure whether your tractor uses gear oil or hydraulic fluid in the front axle. The manual did call for changing the hydraulic fluid, so I did with Chevron 1000 THF. Unable to find a suitable hydraulic filter elsewhere, I used the JD LVA 12812. The only hassle in the entire undertaking was my overfilling with hydraulic fluid, just like "thatguy". There's some trial and error involved here. . . .

Cheers,
Mark

/ 50 hour oil change on the 2520
Thanks for all the good info guys.
I ended up getting the hydro oil from the dealer as well as the filters. they told me to use 15W40 so i just picked up some rotella and used that.