2305 not cooperating, need help

/ 2305 not cooperating, need help #1  

wxboy

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 2305
The other day I went to start the tractor and when I turned the key nothing happened. So I jump started it and everything was fine. I ran it for 30+ minutes shut it down then tried to start it and nothing again. I put the battery on a charger overnight then tried to start it the next day and still nothing. No cranking, nothing. Jumped it again and mowed the lawn for 45 minutes or so then it just shut down on me. When I got off the tractor I smelled a slight burning smell which smelled like burned ceramic to me but I couldn't figure out where it was coming from because the wind was swirling around. Carried a battery out into the back yard and tried to jump it again but this time it cranked a few times then started up for maybe a second and then it dies. Tried this a couple of more times with the same result. So I cleaned the battery contacts, added water to the battery(one of the cells was pretty low) and tried to charge the battery again but so far the battery doesn't want to take a charge.

I checked the fuse which is for the engine and the glow plugs and it was blown. I put in another fuse and tried to jump it with the same failed result and it blew the fuse again.

So obviously I have a battery problem which I'll be dealing with but I don't know what is causing the fuse to blow so in my mind just buying a new battery isn't going to fix the problem.

My next steps are the change the air and fuel filters since they probably need it but does anyone have any ideas or suggestions about what could be causing this or what else I can do to try to fix it?

/ 2305 not cooperating, need help #2  
I think your going to have to take it one step at a time, swap the battery and fuse and see what happens. you could have blown the fuse jumping it. sometimes we get worked up over perceived things that are really unknown and most of the time unfounded.

/ 2305 not cooperating, need help #3  
I agree - take an approach of measured change. Start by replacing the fuse (again) and getting a new battery. I'm guessing you have a bad cell.

Do you have a multi-meter to check the battery after it is charged? If so, what does (did) it read? With a bad cell you'll often be below 10 volts.

Scott

/ 2305 not cooperating, need help #4  
I agree with the others. You've a bad cell in the battery; a diesel will run without the battery, once started. Replace the battery. Put in a new fuse. See if everything works okay then.

Ralph

/ 2305 not cooperating, need help
I agree - take an approach of measured change. Start by replacing the fuse (again) and getting a new battery. I'm guessing you have a bad cell.

Do you have a multi-meter to check the battery after it is charged? If so, what does (did) it read? With a bad cell you'll often be below 10 volts.

Scott

The voltage this afternoon was 10.83 volts. I'm putting the battery back on the charger for 24 hours at 2 amps. I'm really hoping this battery comes back to life. And then I hope that the tractor will actually start and not blow the fuse again.

/ 2305 not cooperating, need help #6  
I'd say bad cell as well. A good 12 volt battery should put out close to 13 volts. In my experience. I had two batteries in my Duramax Chevy, one measured a little over 10 volts the other was about 9. It would start if jumped, but not on it's own. Reminds me of what your going through.

/ 2305 not cooperating, need help #8  
Don't waste your time, that battery is shot.

I agree, the battery is shot.
Have experienced this in the past with motorcycles. They will die without warning and there is no bringing them back.

/ 2305 not cooperating, need help #9  
If you are going to charge it, do so in an open area. I've seen these things melt down due to an internal short.

I'd just bite the bullet and buy a new battery.

Scott

/ 2305 not cooperating, need help #10  
I don't want to beat a dead horse, but the other responders are on the right track, I'll bet. My 2305 that I've only had a few months (bought used with 200 hours) started and ran fine on a Monday in September, but would not start on the very next day. Several complicated (and expensive) scenarios ran through my head, but a wise friend told me to check the potential across the posts with a multimeter. I had ~10.5 volts-decided it was probably a bad cell-new battery-BACK IN BUSINESS!

Good Luck!

Frank