Oil & Fuel 2210 running rough-defective fuel filter

/ 2210 running rough-defective fuel filter #1  

KML

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3520, 300CX, 448
Had posted this in Parts/repair a while back, just wanted to repost here so others might learn from my mistake. CHECK THE FUEL FILTER!!!

original post (updated);
I bought this JD 2210 about 3 months ago from a dealer. It had 131 hours on it and looks new. I've put 81 hours on it with no problems, until yesterday.

Here is where stupid comes in

I bought a filter pack for it and changed the oil and filter, tansaxle fluid and filter, and the primary air filter soon after I got it home. The kit came with a fuel filter but I figured I'd wait until the 200 hour service to do that (as scheduled). BIG MISTAKE..

While operating last night the tractor picked up a vibration. It went from normal to a noticable vibration instantly. I throttled down and up a few times, yep, it's got a vibration. Not shaking me out of the seat, but noticable.

I ran it up to the garage to get some light (only about 100 ft) and started checking everything I could think of and all seemed fine.

After reading the service manual it calls out the fuel filter first and I figured I have one and I'm at 212 Hrs that would be a good place to start this morning.

The metal botom had come of off the fuel filter but it wasn't in the fuel bowl so at some point someone took the metal piece out of the fuel bowl and put what was left of the filter back in:mad: It was allowing all of the fuel to bypass the filter completely.

There was a little water in the bottom of the bowl and some brown gummy stuff, not much though. What there wasn't is any trace of the (possibly missing) white plastic bottom.

The service manual skips over the injector pump as off limits and says if there's a problem with it to install a rebuilt one. It does cover the disassembly and cleaning of the injectors.

How screwed am I? The engine runs and has good power but that vibration is still there. I've only run it enough to check if replacing the filter helped, if it did, it wasn't much. I did add a solid dose of Power Service diesel treatment. Hey, it MIGHT work!

Is this something that could pass through the system, should I check/clean the injectors, or should I put it on a trailer and get it to the dealer.

Thanks for any advice you have for me!

I SHOULD HAVE REPLACED THAT &%#$) FUEL FILTER

UPDATE:
It's still has a noticable vibration and a little diesel "clack" to it that it didn't have before. I've put ten hrs on it hoping to free the injector(if that's what it is) It sounds like my old 1000hr 455 now:(

Any ideas, I've tried power Service additive, B20 biodiesel, and even some ATF. No help (but it didn't like the biodiesel:confused:) I talked to a co-worker who was a JD mechanic for years and he's going take it next week. He's guessing an injector is scored and the pintle isn't moving freely causing a timing issue. I hope that's all it is as they're only $90 each. He still has friends at the regional epa authorized service facility for their injector pumps and thinks he can get the pump rebuilt pretty cheap if it needs it...

/ 2210 running rough-defective fuel filter #2  
Hi,,, founds this thread searching around.. I seem to have the same problem.

what did you end up doing about the tractor. Did you put new injectors in it?

ours has that vibration and when you go to mow with it, it has no power.

any help would be greatly appreciated..

thanks,

don

/ 2210 running rough-defective fuel filter
houtxfdcapt, Sorry for taking so long to reply. I've been away for a while for work. I had a retired JD mechanic take a look at it. He agreed it "might" be running a little rough so he pulled the injectors and pop tested them. One had a something in it that came out when he pulsed it. He put it back to gether and though I don't think it's as smooth as it once was I'm the only one that thinks so:D I,ve put almost 100 hours on it since and it hasn't given me any trouble.

One thing that is different from my symptoms and yours is I didn't see a loss of power.

Hope this helps and good luck with your tractor.