Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    194
    Location
    Red Hook NY
    Tractor
    JD 4310

    Default Battery won't hold charge...4310

    I've had my 4310 for about 6 years now. For the past few months, the battery won't hold a charge overnight. I've tried slow charging it off the tractor, or just letting it charge while running. It will start up after charging, but by the next day it's dead...

    Is it normal for the battery to just quit after 6 years? Should I just replace it? Can I find a suitably sized battery anywhere other than the JD dealer?

    thanks in advance
    4310, 430 loader,48 BH, 4 in 1 bucket, 4WD, MX-5 cutter, e-hydro, R4's, big smile

  2. #2
    Elite Member Kyle_in_Tex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    4,412
    Location
    Giddings, Texas
    Tractor
    JD 4310,JD5420

    Default Re: Battery won't hold charge...4310

    Any battery is suspect after 2-3 years. If you got 6, that's because the 4310 starts in a split second usually.

    Search for 4310 and battery leakage issues and you'll find recommendations for a leak proof battery. Not cheap but very good and they last a long time. I've never had a battery last 6 years. Consider yourself lucky.
    there are 2 kinds of oats. Oats in front of a horse, and oats behind the horse.

  3. #3
    Advertiser kennyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    11,781
    Location
    Westminster, MD
    Tractor
    John Deere 4110, 455

    Default Re: Battery won't hold charge...4310

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What he said!

    Six years on a battery is GOOD!
    KennyD
    www.boltonhooks.com



    Bolt On Grab Hooks, Weld On Grab Hooks, Specialty Chain Accessories, Specialty Hydraulic Components.

    Simple JDParts Tutorial HERE

    Visit our YouTube Channel

  4. #4
    Super Star Member EddieWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    15,190
    Location
    Tyler, Texas
    Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

    Default Re: Battery won't hold charge...4310

    I don't agree that a batter should only last 2-3 years, but can't honeslty say how long it should last either. I'd expect to get twice that out of a decent battery.

    One thing that will let you know when your battery is about done for is winter. Cold weather will push a weak battery over the edge and let you know it's time to replace it.

    Eddie

  5. #5
    Super Member JB4310's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,645
    Location
    Central CT
    Tractor
    J.D. 4310 E-hydro

    Default Re: Battery won't hold charge...4310

    Mine only went 3 1/2 years in my 4310, the most Ive ever seen from any battery was 5. If you got 6 you should bury that thing in the back yard with military honors.
    JD 4310; E hydro, 300CX, 48 BH, 60" box, 72" rake, 72" rear blade, cast pallet forks, 48", 61"HD & 73" high volume bucket.
    FORD 1700; 2 WD, 2600 hrs.
    JD 320; Hydra lift, 48" deck and 48" snow blade.
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500, Cummins 6.7L, Aisin 6 speed, 9ft utility body.

  6. #6
    Elite Member Kyle_in_Tex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    4,412
    Location
    Giddings, Texas
    Tractor
    JD 4310,JD5420

    Default Re: Battery won't hold charge...4310

    Quote Originally Posted by EddieWalker View Post
    I don't agree that a batter should only last 2-3 years, but can't honeslty say how long it should last either. I'd expect to get twice that out of a decent battery.


    Eddie
    Eddie, what I mean is, if you are having electrical problems, then buying a new battery after 3 years is not a waste of money. 4 years is a good average but I've seen 'em bad after 2 years. Especially riding lawn mower batteries.

    Also, heat can kill a battery too.
    there are 2 kinds of oats. Oats in front of a horse, and oats behind the horse.

  7. #7
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    3,179

    Default Re: Battery won't hold charge...4310

    adegiulio, there are multiple threads discussing replacing the JD batteries with auto-batteries that fit. The ones mentioned are sealed batteries and those who have used them are getting good results as long as they secure them properly. You may be able to get suitable replacements from Tractor supply too.
    Nuru
    JD 3520


  8. #8
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    173
    Location
    McKean county, Pa.
    Tractor
    John Deere 4110-HST

    Default Re: Battery won't hold charge...4310

    Picked up my new 2000 Silverado on Nov.30 1999.
    Traded it in August 16 2008. Still had the original
    battery in it. Never had a problem.
    This is exceptional I know and far from normal,but
    it is true.
    elad

  9. #9
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    129
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Tractor
    John Deere 2720, John Deere GT225

    Default Re: Battery won't hold charge...4310

    Quote Originally Posted by elad View Post
    Picked up my new 2000 Silverado on Nov.30 1999.
    Traded it in August 16 2008. Still had the original
    battery in it. Never had a problem.
    This is exceptional I know and far from normal,but
    it is true.
    elad
    You had a good battery in that truck. Was it a brand name or an unnamed for chevy? My Tundra battery is 8 1/2 years old and going strong. The JD battery in my GT225 is almost 7 years old and never a problem.
    Now I can't find a battery that lasts 3 years for my troy-bilt tiller, the original, delco, interstate or Battery Plus. Nothing lasts. Delco's were great in my cars.

    I remember as a teen, to save money I use to buy Trak Auto batterys. The first one lasted 22 months, traded it for another, it lasted 22 months. Since then I use brand names. Hope I don't have trouble with the deere battery in my tractor that I read others have had.

    Have a good week everyone

    wes

  10. #10
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    173
    Location
    McKean county, Pa.
    Tractor
    John Deere 4110-HST

    Default Re: Battery won't hold charge...4310

    Quote Originally Posted by 2720wes View Post
    You had a good battery in that truck. Was it a brand name or an unnamed for chevy? My Tundra battery is 8 1/2 years old and going strong. The JD battery in my GT225 is almost 7 years old and never a problem.
    Now I can't find a battery that lasts 3 years for my troy-bilt tiller, the original, delco, interstate or Battery Plus. Nothing lasts. Delco's were great in my cars.

    I remember as a teen, to save money I use to buy Trak Auto batterys. The first one lasted 22 months, traded it for another, it lasted 22 months. Since then I use brand names. Hope I don't have trouble with the deere battery in my tractor that I read others have had.

    Have a good week everyone

    wes
    Truck battery was a DELCO
    The battery in my JD 4110 is 4 years old and original.
    No problem yet.
    elad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.