Battery won't hold charge...4310

/ Battery won't hold charge...4310 #1  

adegiulio

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4310
I've had my 4310 for about 6 years now. For the past few months, the battery won't hold a charge overnight. I've tried slow charging it off the tractor, or just letting it charge while running. It will start up after charging, but by the next day it's dead...

Is it normal for the battery to just quit after 6 years? Should I just replace it? Can I find a suitably sized battery anywhere other than the JD dealer?

thanks in advance

/ Battery won't hold charge...4310 #2  
Any battery is suspect after 2-3 years. If you got 6, that's because the 4310 starts in a split second usually.

Search for 4310 and battery leakage issues and you'll find recommendations for a leak proof battery. Not cheap but very good and they last a long time. I've never had a battery last 6 years. Consider yourself lucky.

/ Battery won't hold charge...4310 #3  
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said!

Six years on a battery is GOOD!

/ Battery won't hold charge...4310 #4  
I don't agree that a batter should only last 2-3 years, but can't honeslty say how long it should last either. I'd expect to get twice that out of a decent battery.

One thing that will let you know when your battery is about done for is winter. Cold weather will push a weak battery over the edge and let you know it's time to replace it.

Eddie

/ Battery won't hold charge...4310 #5  
Mine only went 3 1/2 years in my 4310, the most Ive ever seen from any battery was 5. If you got 6 you should bury that thing in the back yard with military honors.

/ Battery won't hold charge...4310 #6  
I don't agree that a batter should only last 2-3 years, but can't honeslty say how long it should last either. I'd expect to get twice that out of a decent battery.

Eddie

Eddie, what I mean is, if you are having electrical problems, then buying a new battery after 3 years is not a waste of money. 4 years is a good average but I've seen 'em bad after 2 years. Especially riding lawn mower batteries.

Also, heat can kill a battery too.

/ Battery won't hold charge...4310 #7  
adegiulio, there are multiple threads discussing replacing the JD batteries with auto-batteries that fit. The ones mentioned are sealed batteries and those who have used them are getting good results as long as they secure them properly. You may be able to get suitable replacements from Tractor supply too.

/ Battery won't hold charge...4310 #8  
Picked up my new 2000 Silverado on Nov.30 1999.
Traded it in August 16 2008. Still had the original
battery in it. Never had a problem.
This is exceptional I know and far from normal,but
it is true.
elad

/ Battery won't hold charge...4310 #9  
Picked up my new 2000 Silverado on Nov.30 1999.
Traded it in August 16 2008. Still had the original
battery in it. Never had a problem.
This is exceptional I know and far from normal,but
it is true.
elad

You had a good battery in that truck. Was it a brand name or an unnamed for chevy? My Tundra battery is 8 1/2 years old and going strong. The JD battery in my GT225 is almost 7 years old and never a problem.:D
Now I can't find a battery that lasts 3 years for my troy-bilt tiller, the original, delco, interstate or Battery Plus. Nothing lasts. Delco's were great in my cars.

I remember as a teen, to save money I use to buy Trak Auto batterys. The first one lasted 22 months, traded it for another, it lasted 22 months. Since then I use brand names. Hope I don't have trouble with the deere battery in my tractor that I read others have had.

Have a good week everyone

wes

/ Battery won't hold charge...4310 #10  
You had a good battery in that truck. Was it a brand name or an unnamed for chevy? My Tundra battery is 8 1/2 years old and going strong. The JD battery in my GT225 is almost 7 years old and never a problem.:D
Now I can't find a battery that lasts 3 years for my troy-bilt tiller, the original, delco, interstate or Battery Plus. Nothing lasts. Delco's were great in my cars.

I remember as a teen, to save money I use to buy Trak Auto batterys. The first one lasted 22 months, traded it for another, it lasted 22 months. Since then I use brand names. Hope I don't have trouble with the deere battery in my tractor that I read others have had.

Have a good week everyone

wes

Truck battery was a DELCO
The battery in my JD 4110 is 4 years old and original.
No problem yet.
elad