Ballast Ballast box vs. wheel weights

/ Ballast box vs. wheel weights #1  

bxowner

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 5055e
I have a 2320 with loaded tires. Other posts have suggested that this should add about 400-425lbs. I'm putting on a frame-mount snow plow (actually, a JD quick attach mount with an 84" light-duty Fischer style plow). Would I be better off adding a ballast box or wheel weights? I like the idea of not having a ballast box for two reasons: it makes it easier to maneuver in tight quarters + it allows my rear work lamp to illuminate the ground and not the box. But, then again, you can take off the box for summer when mowing and lighten the tractor altogether.

Do I really need anything? I rarely load up the bucket with enough material to require ballast. I'm just assuming that I'll need some for plowing...

/ Ballast box vs. wheel weights #2  
Can you see any present or future need for a 3point implement? Boxblades and flail mowers are fairly compact and could serve dual purpose. Weight in or on the rears is good particularly for side stability and traction, but is not a true counter weight. Counter weight is behind the axle, unloading the front some to allow good front/balance with loaded bucket.
larry

/ Ballast box vs. wheel weights #3  
Don't think you will need any more ballast. The blade does not extend out from the tractor as like a loader so with the filled tires you should be set. My neighbor had a 755 with a 60" blade, never used any extra weight and he never had a problem with snow or dirt.

If you do go with more wight, I think a ballast box would be better as it is more compact. JMO

/ Ballast box vs. wheel weights #4  
You will be fine running your current set up with no more added weight, especially since you have your tires loaded. I run a JD3520 with an 84 inch front blade and only a landscape rake on the rear. Although I do have wheel weights I don't have my tires loaded. I ran my old JD870 with the same blade and rake with no weights and unloaded tires. It does ride better with a little more weight on the rear though.

Sincerely, Dirt

P1010958.jpg