Winters right around the corner

/ Winters right around the corner #1  

kernal

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2320
With last nights snowfall in the adirondacks I'm wondering if I should upgrade my snow removal plans. I have a stone driveway, just finished putting 40 tons of new stone down. For that type of driveway should I get the 47" blower, or go with the blade untill I can afford to put blacktop down?

Being able to quickly clear the driveway is my goal, last winter it took 1 1/2 hours with the ariens.

I priced both a 3 pt blower and the front blower last week. The front blower was only $400 more than the 3 pt.

/ Winters right around the corner #2  
I'm facing the same situation, but am approaching it incrementally...

I'm starting with the quick hitch on my 2320 and took the tractor to the local body shop at the beginning of the week to have them fabricate a bracket to mount an 84" light-duty (used) Fischer-type plow. I should have no more into it than the factory set-up with the tiny 54" blade. It's more then adding just width - the Fischer is a lot taller. I can always cut the blade down to either 72" or even 66" if it overpowers the tractor.

Then, if I'm really bogged down for deep snows, I will invest in the snow blower. Then I'd have both the blade and blower - each serving their own purpose.

The total for the blade should be no more than $500. I think it will be a lot quicker than then blower for those 4-6" storms. Seems like a lesser expense to me than getting the $2200 blower right off the bat. Will post mid-winter whether it's sufficient or if I bought the blower as well...

/ Winters right around the corner #4  
With last nights snowfall in the adirondacks I'm wondering if I should upgrade my snow removal plans. I have a stone driveway, just finished putting 40 tons of new stone down. For that type of driveway should I get the 47" blower, or go with the blade untill I can afford to put blacktop down?

Being able to quickly clear the driveway is my goal, last winter it took 1 1/2 hours with the ariens.

I priced both a 3 pt blower and the front blower last week. The front blower was only $400 more than the 3 pt.

How much snow do you get?

If its alot like I get I would get the blower and be done with it. Spend the money now instead of spending more later. Just keep the skid shoes up for the first few snowfalls to get a base then you should be fine. I have used both a front blade, back blade, and rear snowblower, and loader. I find the blade works alright but you still will dig up the driveway or lawn as much as you try not to.

/ Winters right around the corner
It varies year to year here in Rochester. I have seen 4-8 inches every couple of days to 3 feet in one night.

Just talked to my brother who still lives in northern NY, east of Watertown. They had about 2 feet of snow by yesterday afternoon, got a couple trucks stuck trying to plow into the lake house where my mom lives. Walked in and got the 2305 to go dig out the plow truck. They got lucky and a nieghbor's big Bota was still up there, so it got the pleasure of pulling the F250 out.

Since the weather had been so nice the 2305 still had the MMM and the FEL on it. He put the 47" blower on and it got it's first use. Wish he would have taken some pictures, but the blower worked great, and the Sims cab was worth the $$. Ordering a heater today thou as the front window did fog up.

I'm really thinking the blower is the way to go, and I am waiting for some members to get the soft side cabs installed. It's only $$ right......

/ Winters right around the corner #6  
Well I think you got your answer. Get the blower. I live just south east about 10-15 minutes from where they got the 2 1/2 feet of really wet heavy snow. I got maybe an inch.

Really, what town do you live in?

/ Winters right around the corner #8  
pulaski all the snow was in redfield

Ah, I grew up in Croghan. Our place is up near Stillwater. Read on a couple forums a few people were out with thier sleds yeasterday.

/ Winters right around the corner #10  
yep -- colder and dryer -- probably won't have to mow the grass for 2 weeks. y'all can keep that crappy white stuff.