3720 Power Steering Line

/ 3720 Power Steering Line #1  

sunnyside360

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 3720, JD 4320, JD 835R, Kubota M4D-071, Kubota ZD1511
Today I found a very deep gouge worn into the power steering hose on the right front side of my 3720 tractor. It happened because the hose rubbed against the frame when the front axle pivots. The tractor has about 140 hrs on it. Wish I had found it sooner before it got so bad.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this on their 3X20 tractor and how it was remedied.

/ 3720 Power Steering Line #2  
I have a 3520/cab. The hose and line routing is terrible. When I first got the tractor I went over it to see where I could maybe change some hoses around to prevent them from rubbing and premature failure. I did change a few, but I'm sure I missed some also. That's one complaint I have............it seems Deere did not use ordinary care or much thought in the line and hose routing. Your not alone if that makes you feel any better.

I did post a thread about hose wear a couple months ago.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ 3720 Power Steering Line
I have a 3520/cab. The hose and line routing is terrible. When I first got the tractor I went over it to see where I could maybe change some hoses around to prevent them from rubbing and premature failure. I did change a few, but I'm sure I missed some also. That's one complaint I have............it seems Deere did not use ordinary care or much thought in the line and hose routing. Your not alone if that makes you feel any better.

I did post a thread about hose wear a couple months ago.

Sincerely, Dirt

Dirt, I did a search prior to posting this thread and did not find anything. After your post above, I did find your thread using your id -- believe it was posted 2/2008.
Anyway, you say you bent the curved steel line to alleviate the problem. I'll look at mine to see if I can do the same but I doubt if these steel lines will move much without breaking. I was thinking about loosening the steel connector at the ps cylinder and turning it down instead of up but then you risk catching the hose on something as it would probably be lower than the cylinder. Thanks for your reply/help.

/ 3720 Power Steering Line #4  
As I said...........there are a lot of hoses that will eventually wear out because of contact from another line or something else. It seems to be worse on the cab tractors. Just go over your tractor and check it out. Then tweak any hoses or lines to prevent them from wearing. That's one thing nice about the geared tractors.............there are way less hoses,lines and electrical parts to rub against each other.

Sincerely, Dirt

As I said...........there are a lot of hoses that will eventually wear out because of contact from another line or something else. It seems to be worse on the cab tractors. Just go over your tractor and check it out. Then tweak any hoses or lines to prevent them from wearing. That's one thing nice about the geared tractors.............there are way less hoses,lines and electrical parts to rub against each other.

Sincerely, Dirt

Will do as you suggested. Will also go over my 4320 (less than a year old) and look for hose chaffing. I can maybe see new model tractors having some issues like this but the 3720 model was out for over two years when I ordered it new from the factory. Oh well, sometimes you just have to roll with the punches and do what you have to do. Thanks again for your insight.

/ 3720 Power Steering Line #6  
I had read many posts about the poor hose placements on the 3x20's before I got mine...one of the first things I did was get under my 3520 with the creeper and have a Look-See... apparently my dealer must have had to fix some of these hose issues because there must be a box of zip ties under mine...I really couldnt find any hoses I needed to address...
I must say, overall, most of the "known issues" posted here were already addressed by my dealer before delivery....

/ 3720 Power Steering Line #7  
Anyone care to post any pics?

I had read many posts about the poor hose placements on the 3x20's before I got mine...one of the first things I did was get under my 3520 with the creeper and have a Look-See... apparently my dealer must have had to fix some of these hose issues because there must be a box of zip ties under mine...I really couldnt find any hoses I needed to address...
I must say, overall, most of the "known issues" posted here were already addressed by my dealer before delivery....

You are very fortunate to have such a dealer. He was obviously already aware of the issue. I'd pay more on purchase price for a dealer like yours. I should mention that the problem is much worse if you have the front A-frame 3PH and 72" 7-Iron Mid Mount Mower because of the special bracket on the right side which I have.

Yesterday, I fabricated a metal hose protector from a piece of galvanized sheet metal approx 1/64 inch thick. It is half-moon shaped and about 3" long. It fits tightly on the hose where the chaffing is occurring and is taped in place. I also put a piece of heavy duty garden hose about 4" long (with a slit) over the metal sleeve and taped it in place. I intend to monitor it closely and leave it this way if it works out OK.

I will look to see if installing a zip tie might help further, but the rubbing is occurring very close to the L-shaped metal tubing part of the hose where it is attached to the hydraulic cylinder so there is little give to the hose. If it weren't for the special bracket for the front 3PH the zip tie would probably work.

/ 3720 Power Steering Line #10  
Ok, that will be fine and Thanks