Larry's axle kit with 62D question

/ Larry's axle kit with 62D question #1  

2Malamutes

Bronze Member
I just received and installed my axle kit from Larry's axle Co., and while the product is great and works just as well as advertised, I came home tonight to find the relief valve on the top of the gearbox (now on the bottom with the deck perpendicular) dripping all of the fluid into a nice puddle on the garage floor. Anyone else had this problem? I figure I can just remember to remove the relief valve and install a plug every fall(and reverse the process in the spring), but I just wanted to see if everyone else's relief valves were acting similarly or if maybe mine has a problem.

/ Larry's axle kit with 62D question #2  
I have used my mower axles for 3 or 4 years now with nairy a drop of oil leaking on my 60" MMM. Mine has no "relief valve" though, can you take a picture of it?

/ Larry's axle kit with 62D question #3  
I have used my mower axles for 3 or 4 years now with nairy a drop of oil leaking on my 60" MMM. Mine has no "relief valve" though, can you take a picture of it?

I used a self-made set of axles last winter and didnt have any leaks.. I dont remember seeing a relieve valve on mine (62D) either.. But I will go take a look and see if i have over looked it..

good luck

Brian

/ Larry's axle kit with 62D question #4  
I also use a self made axle kit and have had no such leakage issues.
I am away from my machine, so cannot look right now.
The Deere parts catalog for the 62D does show a pressure relief fitting on the top of the gearbox right over the input shaft. I suspect that your fitting is loose or defective.

/ Larry's axle kit with 62D question #5  
you guys with home made axles: can I ge materials/part numbers list and possibly photos?

/ Larry's axle kit with 62D question #6  
you guys with home made axles: can I ge materials/part numbers list and possibly photos?

I used the following...

(2) 16" long x 5/8" bolt and nut (galvanized was all i found in that size/length - Lowes)

(2) 9" long PVC 'axle spacers'

(4) 5/8" axle hole solid rubber wheels (TSC) - I used 8" wheels, but a 9" or 10" would be better - part of the mower hits the ground at times with the 8".

(4) 5/8" to 3/4" bushings - TSC/Lowes - (The holes in the mower are 7/8" - but the wheels were 5/8" so I was worried about wallowing out the mower holes and 3/4" was the closest I could get in a bushing)

Good luck

Brian

/ Larry's axle kit with 62D question #7  
I recently got a set of Larry's axles for both my 62D and the 54C up north. I was considering building my own but after receiving the axles from Larry the price is worth it. The axles are sturdy enough to support the weight of the deck, and are drilled to lock in place. I should have bought them sooner.

I will check to see if my 62D is leaking, but I don't remember seeing anything the other day.

/ Larry's axle kit with 62D question #8  
After reading this thread, I'm not aware of what a Larry's axle kit actually does. It seems like it takes the place of the original height axles in the 62D mower deck. I googled Larry's axle company with no luck. Just curious what this axle kit is for and where I can get information on the product. Thanks!

/ Larry's axle kit with 62D question

Attached is a picture. The manufacturer name is "Alemite", and when I look them up the part looks like their vent http://www.alemite.com/catalog/details.aspx?identifier=fittings_airventvalves but I can't tell what pressure. If it is a felt vent (0 psi), then what I am experiencing would be normal, but if it is a rated vent, then I don't think I should be getting the drainage. The leak is not coming from the threaded portion like it isn't tight, it is running out from beneath the cap. The cap on mine is completely loose and can be easily moved about with a slight touch. Can someone else with a newer style like mine see if that is normal? Thanks for checking.

Attachments

• _MK30992.JPG
    _MK30992.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 155
Last edited: