Steel rack pics

/ Steel rack pics #1  

JD Greg

Bronze Member
Tractor
currently 2008 JD X540. Looking at a JD 2305.
Joe 427 Vette:
Here are some pics of my steel rack.
I will give you the dimensions of what mine is.
For me, I wouldn't change a thing. Tall enough and long enough to get a 4x8 sheet of steel in the back. I have 3" steel swivel casters all around. Do Not use rubber casters, they will flat spot and you will have a hard time moving the rack around. I have moved mine several times without any problems. Sometimes, takes me longer to move the things that I have stacked around the rack, than it does to actually move the rack to where I want it. But, I rarely move it. Hope the pics help.
Here are the measurements:

1 1/4 x 1 1/4 x 1/8 sq tubing for the entire main structure.
IMG_6913.jpg

1 x 1 x 1/8 sq tubing for the steel "holders", 6 inches long and spaced 6 inches apart.
IMG_6915.jpg

the base measures: 8' long, 56" tall, 18" deep. 3"steel swivel casters mounted at all 4 corners, bolted to 1/8 steel plate which is welded to
1 1/4 sq tubing.
IMG_6919.jpg

IMG_6914.jpg

The rear uprights are 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 x 1/8 sq tubing. Each end upright is obviously attached to the end of the base, with the center 3 uprights being 24" on center.
IMG_6918.jpg

IMG_6917.jpg

IMG_6916.jpg

/ Steel rack pics #2  
Thanks for the pictures. Nice steel rack and great inventory. I went wider at the base because I have alot of short ( 2' or less ) pieces I want to organize. I had some 2x2 for the parimeter and bought some 1 1/2 square tubing for the uprights to run 3 6' pieces down the center with lateral bracing.
After viewing this I may have to ponder more on the overall design. I don't store any 4x8 sheets, just cut offs. If it gets any higher priced I may have to call it the gold rack !